Chapter Six.

Fortune Postcards

Fortune Postcards

You let out an exasperated sigh and stretched yet again. Seated comfortably on a stool, you were engrossed in your work, focusing on crafting engaging blog posts. Suddenly, you noticed another postcard peeking out from under the corner of your laptop.

You took it begrudgingly, reading the short quote on the piece of paper.

"When it's winter in wonderland, there's an everlasting snowfall in Spring."

On the front of the card, a picturesque scene of cherry blossom trees graced the surface, accompanied by the customary handwritten quote. You turned the card over and saw your name inscribed in the corner.

You tossed the postcard in your bag before writing your blogs again.

The fortune postcards you received often seemed to foretell your future. You shared this peculiar occurrence with your mother, but she dismissed it, suggesting that perhaps an old pen pal from high school or elementary could be the anonymous sender.

Given that it's harmless, you never saw the need to file a report. After all, these cards bestow a bit of fortune. There was no cause for concern; it was all quite benign.

In the month of love, you decided to make everything special and wistful. You cleaned the floor and worked with the other florists to prepare a Valentine's Day Special Package for the customers.

Your days mostly contained wrapping flowers, packaging treats and blooms, and folding cardboard. While your mother mostly did all the baking, you also specialized in tending the plants by the doorstep. You also helped in organizing the snack area of your shop.

The bells by the doorstep chimed. You felt giddy again to meet your usual customer: the old woman. With a wide smile, you added the finishing touch to the bouquet by delicately wrapping a vibrant red ribbon around it, a symbol of love and excitement. Your gaze then shifted towards the doorway, brimming with anticipation and joy.

Suddenly, a towering figure entered your peripheral vision, and an uncanny sense of recognition sent shivers down your spine as you laid eyes on this familiar yet unfamiliar stranger.

Your smile faltered. The tall man from the pedestrian lane scrolled on his phone as he approached you. 

"Good morning, sir. How can I help you?" a soft, monotonic tone replaced your usual sing-song morning voice. You lowered your head a bit more, hoping he wouldn't recognize your face.

Even though he bore a striking resemblance to the stranger, there was a lingering thought that he might be some sort of apparition. Despite this uncertainty, you initiated a conversation with him.