Chapter Ten.

Shadow Monsters

Shadow Monsters

Warning: The following scenes contain suggestive themes and light gore/horror. Please read at your own risk.

A huge shadow horse with gleaming red eyes jumped out of the trash bin, settling a harsh rattle in the midnight.

The dark horse simpered creepily, flaunting its sharp teeth. The moment its smile faded, more shadow horses appeared behind its looming figure.

The clouds poured and cried. A clap of thunder bellowed, the snowflakes becoming snowdrops of water. The leader of these shadows now transformed into a tangible figure. He had gray-swept hair, pale skin, and red eyes that glistened in the dark.

Yeomra snapped his fingers—a herd of shadow horses galloped in the air. They encircled the entire city to disturb the humans' slumber. 

He grinned devilishly, a hearty chuckle escaping his mouth the moment he heard the skies roar. 

"Terrorize the whole city."

Yeomra grumbled his orders as the shadow horses leaped and ran in the wind to possess the citizens in their dreamlands. 

The shadow king now left without another word, his back facing the swarming shadows in the late evening. He scuffed his feet on the snowy platform, grinning at the thought of his plan. He went to his humble abode again, a name that most immortals are familiar with: 

Under Land.

———

Yuna walked alongside her mother, who seemed at peace. She gently placed her palm on her mother's forehead to check her temperature. Yoomi's back was turned towards her, and upon feeling her daughter's touch, Yuna lovingly pulled the blanket higher, ensuring her mother was snug. She planted a tender kiss on her mother's crown, a content smile gracing her face.

Later, after closing their shop and nestling under the covers of their cozy bed, Yuna felt a craving for a warm beverage in the late evening. It was already 2 in the morning when she decided to glance at her phone. The chilly atmosphere in their loft led both her and her mother to dress in warmer clothes. The desire for a cup of coffee compelled her to leave her bed at midnight.

The young florist's slippers squeaked in the dark. She opened the lights by the stairway and the hallway. She scurried down the cases of stairs towards the shop. Since both different floors shared the same building, Yuna passed by her working area before arriving at the kitchen. 

A chilly breeze tousled her hair, sweeping the strands away from her face. She scrunched her brows, swiftly flicking on the lights. Oddly enough, a gust of wind fluttered past, despite the fact that all the windows and doors were securely shut. Yuna blinked in confusion, then proceeded to stride toward her kitchen counter to fetch what she needed.