thirty-two

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

"You know they're all pissed, right?" Henry asks as Jay walks over to him in the Port Angeles airport. "You disappeared for three days without a word to anyone."

"Mhm." The little brunette nods. "Why do you think I called you?"

"You missed my charming smile?"

"I do miss you." She nods. "I wish I hadn't had to move."

"We miss you too, kid." He motions toward the parking lot. "Let's get out of here."

It's the middle of the night, so it's dark as they walk to his car. As he drives them back to Forks, she can't help but think about the first time he picked her up from the very same airport. She had Jeremy with her, and Elena called to check in with them every so often. She was still human, and Ric was alive. Everything was so different then, and she'd give anything to go back.

She's choking back tears when Henry pulls up outside of her house, and Damon and Stefan are both outside in an instant. The oldest is ready to yell, right up until the moment he sees her dark eyes full of unshed tears.

"What happened?" Damon questions. "Is Bella alright?"

"Bella's fine." Henry tells him as Jay covers her face with her hands.

Paul's walking over as Damon wraps his arms around Jay, and she buries her face in his chest as she starts crying. The Quileute boy stops and watches as Damon tries to comfort the distraught brunette, but he doesn't know how because he doesn't know what's wrong with her. Thinking about everything that's been going on, and everything that they still haven't even dealt with, is too much with her heightened emotions.

A few hours later, Jay's sitting on the landing at the bottom of the staircase in the Cullens' back living room. Her feet are on the very last step, and her best friend's standing beside her.

"Can you please tell me what I'm doing here now?" Jay asks as she looks up at Bella. "My tyrannical father-figure is threatening to chain me up in my room. And while Damon doesn't actually scare me — by any means — he does annoy me."

The older girl nods, and then she looks around at the room full of vampires. "You all know what I want. And I know..." She takes a deep breath. "...how much I'm asking for. The only thing that I can think of for it to be fair is to just vote."

"You don't know what you're talking about." Edward says from behind her, and she turns to look at where he's standing on a higher step.

"Shut up." She shakes her head before looking back at the others. "Alice?"

"I already consider you my sister." She says as she crosses the room to hug her. She then pulls back as they both step off the stairs. "Yes."

"Thank you."

"I vote yes." The blond vampire on the other side of the room says, and they all look at him. "It would be nice to not want to kill you all the time." He tells her, and she nods.

"I'm sorry." The blonde woman near him speaks up. "I'm really sorry to both of you for how I've acted, and I'm really grateful that you were brave enough to go and save my brother."

"And stupid." Jay mutters.

"Says the girl who was right next to me the whole time." Bella looks down at her, and she raises her eyebrows as she nods.

"Continue." She tells the blonde as the muscular vampire chuckles.

"This isn't a life I would've chosen for myself." She tells Bella. "And I wish that there had been someone to vote no for me. So, no."

"I vote hell yeah." The big guy walks over and hugs Bella, picking her up and spinning her around. "We can pick a fight with these Volturi some other way." He takes a step back after setting her back on her feet.

"I already consider you a part of the family." Another woman says. "Yes." She nods.

"Jay?" Bella looks at her, and she lifts her head with raised eyebrows.

"I'm not a part of this family. I don't even like your boyfriend." The younger girl tells her. "Why would I vote?"

"Because you're my family." The older girl tells her. "Ohana, remember?"

A small smile pulls at her lips, but then it falls again as she stands up. "I said what I had to to get you out of there alive... You don't know what you're giving up — your humanity..." She shakes her head as she looks down.

"If that's how you feel, then why won't you take the cure?"

"Because I'm gonna find Elena and shove it down her throat." She tells her. "We lost everything — our entire family is dead — and she turned her back on me... Or maybe I'll cure Rebekah and then kill her. Since I can't kill her antiChrist of a brother."

"Revenge isn't who you are." Bella shakes her head.

The younger girl looks around at the family that her best friend wants to be a part of. "Bell, this is best case scenario. What little you saw in Mystic Falls — that isn't even half of how bad it can get for us. The most stable parental-figure I have in my life...I've seen snap my brother's neck after my sister wouldn't tell him that she had feelings for him...because he loved her and she didn't love him back... The things that both Stefan and Damon have done... They were human once too, and people who never would've done the things that they did after they turned... Two good boys from a small town, and they became a self-proclaimed reformed serial killer and the Ripper of Monterey... Maybe the vampires here are good, but most of them aren't. Most of them are..."

"Like Klaus...and Kol?" She asks. "Are you okay, Jay?"

"No, Bella, I'm not okay. I'm dead." She takes a deep breath and then walks past Bella so that she can leave the Cullen house.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

book two is up. it's called...
Broken Faith