thirteen

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

"N-No!" Jay yells, and Jeremy smiles as he starts walking backward away from their table in the cafeteria. "You suck!" She picks up the red apple from her tray and chucks it at him.

The older boy laughs as he catches it. "Just like Jenna."

"I take that as a compliment." She tells him, and he rolls his eyes before taking a bite out of the apple. Then he turns around and leaves the cafeteria.

Bella's laughing as she looks at Jay. "You two always make lunch interesting." The older girl says, and Jay smiles as she looks at her. "What's the big deal if he invites Paul over to your guys' place anyway?" She asks.

"He's been acting weird lately — all kinds of back and forth."

"What's that mean exactly?" Her eyebrows are furrowed as she breaks the seal on her juice bottle. "Weird how?"

"Well, sometimes he talks to me a lot, I think he even flirts with me." The little brunette says as she leans back in her seat. "Other times...it's like he can't get away from me fast enough. I thought I was the only one who noticed it, and that I was imagining it, but then Jared said something to him while I was with Kim in the kitchen. I couldn't really hear them, but he seemed annoyed with him. Paul told him to mind his own business, and then he took off. That was the last time I saw him. It was a few days ago now." 

"Why don't you talk to him? Flirt with him, see what happens." Bella tells her, and she shakes her head.

"He's got a bit of a temper... I don't know. I dated someone like that already, I just... I think maybe I shouldn't...go there again." She says, but she seems like she's trying to convince herself of that.

"But you like him, Jay. That much is obvious." She argues. "I mean, you wouldn't have thrown an apple at Jeremy just now if you didn't."

"It doesn't matter." The younger girl shakes her head. "I mean, he was kinda avoiding me the last time he was at the house. I'm not exactly a fan of being somewhere that I'm not wanted with someone who clearly doesn't want me there." She says, and Bella nods in understanding.

"What about the guy that we met at the beach — Jake's friend, with the longer hair?"

"Embry." She smiles. "Yeah, we've talked a few times. He's really sweet."

"Look at that smile — you're adorable."

"Shut up." She covers her face, and Bella chuckles. She then changes the subject a few minutes later. "Hey, Kim and I are gonna catch a movie after school on Friday. You wanna come with?"