three

CHAPTER THREE

Jay jumps when she hears Elena scream, and she quickly sits up in her bed as she grabs for the gun that she now keeps on her nightstand beside her bed. The younger girl groans in annoyance when she looks over and sees Damon laying in her sister's bed with a smirk on his face. Elena's quickly scooting away from him as she pulls the blanket over herself to cover her chest because she's wearing a spaghetti-strap tank-top and no bra.

"Oh, for the love of God..." Jay sighs as she lets the gun settle back in its previous place with a clatter, and then she gets up and grabs clothes to change into in the bathroom. "Six in the damn morning..." She mutters to herself and then turns on the shower.

Once the restaurant finally opens, Jay goes down to the Mystic Grill to finish the homework that she has to turn in the next day — Monday morning. Matt walks over then and sits down across from her at her table. "I thought Tyler had to force you to do your homework. Now you're one of the first customers in here and you're doing your work on a Sunday morning?" He questions.

"I woke up to find Damon harassing Elena in her bed. This was less infuriating." She tells him as she flips the page in her book.

"What's wrong with you?"

"Nothing."

"Yeah, that's a lie." He argues, and she sighs.

"Well, I had one friend left that didn't stick around solely because of my big sister, and your nosy girlfriend ruined it because she couldn't keep herself out of my business."

"Caroline isn't my girlfriend anymore." He reminds her. "What happened with you and Tyler?"

"And why aren't you and Care together anymore exactly?" She asks as she lifts her head and looks up at him, her brown eyes meeting his blue ones.

"You know why." He says. "Stop deflecting."

"You're not with her 'cause you're stupid."

"Oh, really?" He questions, and she nods.

"Do you remember a few months ago when we were all here and there was a band playing?" The little brunette points toward the stage, and he turns to look over there.

"Caroline sang Eternal Flame to tell me how she felt." Matt says, and she nods.

"She was a vampire then, remember?" She says. "She loves you, you love her. You're passed the initial shock of finding out about everything... Take it from me, Matt, we don't always get second chances. Maybe you should take your third before one of you ends up dead."