thirty-one

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

In this moment, Jay's incredibly grateful for two things: one, she grabbed one of Stefan's sweaters when she left the house this morning; and two, she forgot her cellphone while she was with Paul at Harry Clearwater's house.

Since she doesn't have her phone, she hasn't had to avoid any calls from Stefan, Damon, or Paul; she knows that they're all gonna be angry and she doesn't want to deal with it yet. But what exactly was she supposed to do in this situation? Let Bella leave the country with a vampire that she doesn't trust because said vampire already abandoned Bella once? That's a hard no in the teenager's mind.

During any period of time while they've been around large crowds of humans — on planes or in airports — Jay's been trying to hide inside Stefan's dark gray zip-up hoodie. It's too big for her, and she keeps it zipped all the way up with the hood over her head. It's also good for hiding from the sun; Italy isn't overcast like the weather in Forks or like it was during Bonnie's funeral.

Bella glances into the backseat of the yellow Porsche that Alice's driving, and she sees Jay curled up in the middle. Her legs are pulled up with one arm wrapped around them, while her free hand is pressing her knuckles into her lips. The sleeve of the sweater is pulled around her fist, and she's breathing into the material, trying to filter out Bella's scent.

This trip is the first time she's been in such close quarters with a human for so long. Even on the drive back to Forks from Mystic Falls, Damon only drove at night so that he could keep the top of his convertible down.

"When was the last time you fed?" The older girl asks, and Jay lifts her gaze to her as she keeps her head down.

"Right after we got back to Forks."

"That was three days ago."

"This isn't a fun experience for me, Bella, I hate drinking blood... And I was with Paul most of yesterday." She says as her dark eyes narrow.

"How new are you?" Alice asks as she glances in the rearview mirror, and Jay responds with a throaty growl as she buries her face in her knees. "Oh..."

They continue down a mostly deserted road on a hillside as the oldest in the car drives toward a large city. The car jerks, and Bella grabs the dashboard to steady herself. "I'm guessing you didn't rent this car?" She asks as she glances at Alice.

"I figured you wouldn't be opposed to grand theft auto."

"Not today."

Jay tunes them out as she pulls her hood over her face and focuses on breathing through her mouth. Bella looks back at her again, and she doesn't know how the younger girl's staying balanced — there are only two seats in the back, but she doesn't want to be near either of the windows because of the sun that's shining into the car.