seven

CHAPTER SEVEN

"Race you to the next corner?" Jay asks as she jogs down the street beside her sister.

"We're supposed to be pacing ourselves." The older girl reminds her, and she rolls her eyes as she continues, keeping pace with Elena.

The girls make it to where they agreed would be their halfway point, and they both stop. Elena looks at her watch and then smiles as she shows Jay. "Shaved five minutes off. Not bad." She smiles as she takes a second to catch her breath. "Wanna head back now?"

"Uh-huh." Elena nods, and she chuckles.

They turn then and see a man running toward them. He's dressed similarly to them — that being, in running gear. But still, it makes them uneasy, or maybe it's just the paranoia. Jay nudges her sister's arm and then motions for them to continue in the direction that they were already headed. Elena nods, and they start running again.

The girls keep going, and he makes every turn that they do. Rather awkwardly, Jay reaches into the deep pocket of her running pants for her phone after they round another corner. Elena grabs a tree branch and uses it to slow her momentum and help her stop, and Jay stops a few paces past her, phone in hand. As the two brunette's look back, they're both expecting to find him still coming toward them, but the sidewalk behind them is clear.

Jay turns to look the other way and ends up bumping into the man who was running behind her and her sister. She gasps as she looks up into his bright blue-green eyes, and he lowers his hood before pulling out a pair of earbuds.

"Sorry." He offers her a small smile as he pants. "I should've been watching where I was going."

She shakes her head. "Don't worry about it." She says, and he nods.

"You two have a nice day." He tells the girls before running past them.

"You think we're just getting paranoid?" Elena asks as her sister looks at her.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't after you." The younger girl says, and she nods. "Come on, let's go home."

A couple hours later, Jay's doing homework at the grill, and Elena's having lunch with Bonnie at a nearby table. The younger girl needed to sit alone to concentrate, but neither of them wants to be too far from the other. They don't want to be alone if they run into Klaus...or Tyler.

Ric walks over Jay, and she holds up her index finger. "One second, please. I'm almost done with my notes for this section." She tells him, and he nods. The little brunette writes down her last few sentences on the Civil War and then looks up at him. "Yes, Mr. Guardian, sir?"