twenty-four

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

"What the hell was that earlier?" Jay questions as Bella walks over to her and Tyler. They're standing in the doorway because he can't get inside the Swan residence without an invitation.

"Yeah, I have a few questions of my own." The older girl says as she looks at Tyler.

"Well, how about we start at the beginning of today? You tell me what the hell tried to kill us, who the Cullens are, and then I'll tell you about him."

Bella takes a deep breath as she looks back at her best friend. "Laurent is a vampire." She tells her, and Jay and Tyler exchange a confused look.

"But his eyes..." He shakes his head, and she shrugs.

"That is what confuses you guys?" She questions, and they both return their attention to her.

"We're no strangers to vampires, but we've never seen any with eyes like that before." Jay tells her. "Is there more than one kind?"

"There has to be." Tyler says, and Jay looks back at him. "Stefan and Damon never said anything about anything like this before, and my eyes were never like that."

"You're a vampire?" Bella asks, obviously surprised.

"Who are the Cullens?" Jay asks as she looks back at her. "And Victoria?"

"Uh... Edward's my ex-boyfriend, and the Cullen's are his family." She says. "Victoria's mate tried to kill me last year, so Edward's brothers killed him. Now, she wants revenge, I guess."

"Huh... Tyler's a hybrid." The younger girl says. "Half-vampire, half-werewolf. Did your boyfriend's family have eyes like Laurent?"

"No, their eyes were more of a golden color because they fed on animals instead of humans. I didn't even know that werewolves were real." She says, and Tyler nods. "Is that what those wolves in the woods were?"

"Not like any werewolf I ever saw." Jay tells her.

"Wolves?" Tyler looks at Jay with raised eyebrows.

"They chased off the...vampire, I guess. They were huge." She says. "I was trying to convince myself that I'd imagined them."

"So that's not what he looks like when he turns?" Bella asks as she motions to Tyler, and Jay shakes her head.

"No, he looks like a regular wolf." She tells her. "Definitely not like a six-foot-tall Godzilla wolf."

"Godz— And you neglected to mention them before, why?" Tyler questions.