ten

CHAPTER TEN

"Hey." Jay gets Henry's attention as she walks into the living room, and he turns his head as he's putting his shoes on. "You're going running, right?"

"Yeah. I run whenever my work schedule gives me the time." He tells her and then gets to his feet.

"You mind if I tag along?" She asks. "I had started running with Elena most mornings, but I haven't been able to here 'cause I'm not familiar with the area yet."

"Sure. I'll show you my route, and you can run it while I'm working." He says. "Are you ready to go?" He asks, and she nods.

"Gross, you too?" Kim shakes her head as she walks into the living room. "Who runs for fun?"

"I run to stay in shape, thank you very much." Jay tells her. "But you enjoy your donuts."

"M'kay." She mumbles, her eyes half closed.

Henry laughs as he looks from his sister to Jay. "Come on, kid." He motions toward the door, and she follows him out of the house.

He shows the teenager his usual running route, which consists of a lot of dirt paths and some back roads, but she doesn't mind it at all. Jay likes looking at the scenery as they go, it's a welcome change as it's a lot different than what she's used to seeing back in Mystic Falls. There it was all houses, here it's trees and nature.

And since it's his day off, Henry takes her to a hiking trail through the woods that's close to the house. After taking the hike, they head back to the house. The two of them make it to the end of their street, and Jay tries to race him home.

A loud bang gets Kim and Jeremy's attention, and they both turn as Henry basically falls into the house once he opens the front door. Jay walks in behind him, panting as she laughs at the older boy. He lays on the ground, staring up at the ceiling as he tries to catch his breath.

"What was that?" Kim asks as she looks between the two of them.

"That was Henry hurling himself at the front door so that I wouldn't beat him." Jay explains as she goes to get herself some water from the kitchen. After chugging a glass of the cool liquid, she sets a plastic bottle on the floor next to Henry.

"Thanks." He sits up and grabs it so that he can down the contents. "We should probably take water with us if we're gonna be out that long again." He says, and Jay nods in agreement.

"You wanna shower first?"

"No, you go ahead." He shakes his head as he pushes himself off of the floor.