one

CHAPTER ONE

Elena walks over to the window in hers and her younger sister's bedroom and throws open the curtains, immediately earning a groan from the little brunette as she then pulls the long pillow over her head. "No. Sunlight — bad. Very, very bad." She complains, and Elena looks over at her.

"Sunlight's good for you. It'd do you well to get more of it." She argues, and Jay lets out a low, throaty sound — something like a growl.

Half an hour later, the youngest in the house is making her way down the stairs, and she catches the tail-end of her sister's conversation with their sole guardian. "Easy to be certain when the alternative is that he's dead." Elena's saying.

"Love the morbidity so early in the morning." Jay mutters sarcastically as she grabs a to-go cup for her coffee. "Where's Jeremy?"

"Getting ready for work if he knows what's good for him." Ric says from where he's folding his blanket in the living room that's connected to the kitchen.

"Are you sure you're still okay on the couch?" Elena asks him.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm good." He nods.

"Because you spent half the Summer on it. If you need your own bedroom..." She motions upstairs as she makes her way over to him.

"And sleep in your dead parents' room or my dead girlfriend's room..." He trails off, shaking his head.

"And on that morbid note..." Jay seals her cup and then starts for the door. "Oh, wait..." She quickly turns back and looks at her older sister. "Happy birthday, Lena."

The older girl offers her a small smile. "Thanks." She says, and the little brunette nods before leaving their house.

Jay gets to the grill a little while later, and Matt walks over to her. "Here to meet Tyler again?" He asks, and she takes a deep breath as she nods.

"He's been tutoring me. I think he feels guilty." The younger girl says as she looks up at the blond boy. "Or maybe it's just pity."

"Pitying you would be a waste of time." Tyler says as he walks up behind them. "Where's your backpack?" He asks, seeing that the little brunette doesn't have anything with her besides her half-empty coffee cup, and she smiles as she looks up at him.

"Oops. I must've forgotten it." She shrugs. "I guess we'll just have to catch a movie instead."

"No." He shakes his head. "You're failing Health, and I promised to help you pass."

"So, I'll take it during the normal year. It's not like I'm behind or anything. I'm a Freshman."

"You are not failing it. We'll just study at your house." He turns and starts for his car.