seventeen

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

"So, are you excited?" Bella asks as she sits down next to Jay at their usual table in the cafeteria.

"For Jake to teach me more about motorcycle rebuilds? Stoked." The younger girl nods and then smiles sarcastically as she looks at Bella, knowing that that's not what she's talking about.

"Ha ha. No, for our plans after." She looks at her. "Your annoyance with this party is kinda funny."

"I got drunk at the last party I went to, woke up hungover and friendless." Jay says as she glances at her again. "Not really looking forward to a repeat."

"So don't drink." Bella says. "Is there gonna be alcohol there anyway?"

"Not as far as Kim's plans, but do you really think that a bunch of teenagers are gonna go to a party on the beach and not bring booze?"

"I don't know. Parties have never really been my thing." She tells her. "Is there usually a lot of alcohol involved?"

"In my experience." The little brunette nods. "Teenagers like getting drunk and acting stupid. I think it makes them feel older than they are."

"Why would anybody want that?" Bella asks as she stabs her salad with her fork.

"Everyone wants to grow up faster than time will let them, and then, once they're the age they wished they would finally get to...they long to be as young as they once were."

"I don't think it's the age..." She disagrees. "People think they want to be grown, do grownup things... Then they're old enough to do those things, and they miss the naivety of when it all seemed so much cooler than it really is."

"Mm... This conversation got way too heavy. Let's just focus on being young and dumb while we still are." Jay says as she then gets to her feet.

"Where are you going?"

"To spread the wealth."

The younger girl walks over to the table that has some of the kids Jeremy used to hang out with, as well as Angela — a Senior that she met in her fourth period elective class. Angela smiles when she sees the younger girl approaching her friends' table.

"Hey." The raven-haired girl greets.

"Hi. You mind if I sit for a minute?" Jay asks, and she motions toward the empty seat beside her.

"What's up?"

"There's a party at First Beach on the reservation tonight. Are you guys coming?" She asks as she glances around the table.