twenty-five

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

"Are you guys hungry? Like I have to ask." The woman in the kitchen chuckles as the teenagers make their way inside the house. "Who's this?" She asks when she sees the older of the two girls; the youngest stopped outside to try calling Tyler.

"Bella Swan." Jared tells her. "Who else?"

"Oh, so, you're the vampire girl." She smirks.

"So, you're...the wolf girl." Bella says as she steps inside.

"Guess so." She nods. "Well, I'm engaged to one." She says as Jay walks in beside Bella, taking a deep breath to control her frustration at Tyler not answering his phone. "And who's this?"

"Oh, uh... That's Jay." Embry tells her, and Jared laughs.

"Oh." Emily smiles, and the girl in question pauses a moment when she sees the scars that drag down the right side of her face. "You're the girl that Paul and Embry used to fight about."

Jay glances at Embry and then shoots Bella a dirty look when she snickers at the younger girl's discomfort in the situation. She's not used to seeing Jay look so awkward.

"Save some for your brothers." The Quileute girl quickly grabs Jared's hand when he reaches for the tray of muffins that she just set on the table in front of him and Embry. "And ladies first. Muffin?" She offers to the teenage girls.

"Sure." Bella nods and then walks forward to grab one.

"Leave it to Jacob to find a way around Sam's gag order." She says as the younger two girls move to stand near the wall across from where the boys are sitting.

"Um, he didn't...say anything to us." Bella tells her.

"That's a wolf thing." Embry says, and the girls look at him. "Alpha's orders get obeyed whether we want 'em to or not. Oh, and check it out — we can hear each other's thoughts."

"Would you shut up?" Jared looks at him, obviously irritated with the younger boy. "These are trade secrets. Damn it! This chick runs with vampires." He motions to Bella.

"You can't really run with vampires." Bella argues, and Emily chuckles as she looks down at the boys. "'Cause they're fast."

"Yeah? Well, we're faster." He tells her. "Freaked out yet?"

She shakes her head. "You're not the first monsters I've met."

"Jake's right." Sam says as he walks into the house. "You're good with weird." He then walks over to his fiancée and wraps his arms around her before he starts kissing the side of her face.