twenty-six

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

Startled by a loud noise, Jay sits up in her bed and looks around her dark bedroom. Elena's looking around as well, having heard the same thing that her younger sister had. The two girls look at each other and then both slowly, quietly climb out of their beds.

The light's on in the bathroom, but it's likely that Jeremy just forgot to turn it off before he went to bed. The girls see that hall light is on as well as they make their way toward the door, and it creeks as Elena opens it. Jay walks past her sister to look into Jeremy's room, since his door is also open a crack, but he's asleep in his bed.

Footsteps coming up the stairs startle both girls as they spin around, and they scare Ric, who's walking up carrying a bowl of ice cream. All three of them gasp, and then Jay looks up toward the ceiling when she sees that he's not wearing much of anything.

"Elena, Jay." Ric clears his throat as he uses his bowl to cover himself, as the only thing that he's wearing is a pair of boxers.

"We heard something." Elena says, and he chuckles awkwardly as Jenna quickly makes her way up the stairs as well.

"Mommy." Jay smirks, biting back her laughter when she sees how embarrassed Jenna looks because of the situation. The older woman's wearing Ric's flannel with only a few of the buttons done up, her legs are bare, and her hair's a bit of a mess — much like Ric's.

"That was us." The strawberry-blonde says as she pushes her hair back. "I'm sorry." She says, looking between Jay and Elena.

"We didn't think anyone was up." Ric tells the girls.

"But here you girls are...and here we are."

"We were just..."

"Uh..."

"Oh, Ma, I so don't wanna know." Jay shakes her head, and Elena laughs as she turns toward her sister, trying to hide the obvious amusement on her face.

"Chunky Monkey?" Ric holds his ice cream bowl out toward the brunettes, and both of them start busting up laughing.

"What's going o— Oh!" Jeremy immediately turns back around and slams his forehead into his now open bedroom door, which he's holding in place. "Where are their clothes?!" He questions, which only makes the girls laugh even harder.

"Well... I'm naked." Ric glances around awkwardly. "So, I'm gonna go." He rushes toward Jenna's room, and then Jeremy peeks at the girls.

"We're good? Nobody needs protecting?" The teenage boy asks, not meeting Jenna's gaze, and refusing to look at her entirely.