eight

CHAPTER EIGHT

"Hey, you know what I just realized?" Jay asks as she walks into her brother's bedroom from the connecting bathroom.

"Hm?" He turns to look at her, away from what he's currently packing up.

"We're moving to a town that could just as easily be called Dinglehopper." She smiles, and he shakes his head as he looks at her.

"You keep making jokes like that, and we'll never make any friends."

"You love my terrible references." She argues, and he shakes his head again.

"Go pack." He tells her and then gets back to what he was doing before she walked in.

"I like my cartoons." She mutters as she walks back to her own bedroom.

They're moving to Washington because Elena thinks that it'll be good for them to get away from everything that's going on with Klaus. Technically, they're only going to school in Forks, they'll actually be living with some family friends on the Indian Reservation that neighbors it.

The little brunette gets to school and she sees Caroline in the parking lot. "Hey." The blonde smiles when she sees the younger girl walking over to her at her car.

"Happy birthday, Care-Bear." Jay says, and she chuckles.

"I forgot you used to call me that. You were...five, I think."

"Somethin' like that." She shrugs. "Anyway, I'm gonna be makin' my rounds today. I don't always see you here, and I wanna make sure that I get to say goodbye to you."

"Right." Care nods. "You and Jeremy leave tomorrow morning."

"Mhm. You gonna miss me?"

"Of course." She smiles as she pulls the younger girl into a hug. "I think my life just got a little less colorful."

"Jeremy didn't like my joke this morning." Jay says as she pulls back and looks up at her. "I told him we were moving to Dinglehopper." She tells her, and Caroline laughs.

"You're an odd one." She says, and the brunette shrugs, a wide smile plastered on her face.

"What would you think if I dyed my hair bright red?"

"I think you should wait for your midlife crises." Care tells her, and she starts laughing.

"Mm. Mhm." She nods, but Caroline's laughter dies down when she notices someone over the younger girl's shoulder. "What?" Jay turns and sees Tyler walking over to them.