eleven

CHAPTER ELEVEN

Henry walks into the house the next morning and he finds the five teenagers all passed out in the living room. Kim and her boyfriend are curled up together on the big chair that they were sitting in last night, Jeremy's out cold in the other recliner, and Jay and Paul are both still sitting on the couch. The little brunette's legs are pulled up onto the cushions beside her, and she's leaning against his side, her head resting on his bare shoulder.

The oldest walks over to the kitchen and grabs a pan and a metal spoon, then he heads back over to the living room. He starts banging the spoon on the back of the pan, and it wakes all of the teenagers. Jeremy's the closest so he covers his ears as he looks around for the source of the noise, and Kim and Jared both quickly stand. They know that Henry's perfectly okay with their relationship, and trusts them entirely, but he's stated on multiple occasions that he doesn't need to see them doing anything couple-y. Jay puts her hands over her face as she tries to sink further into the couch, but then she feels Paul move beside her.

So the little brunette sits up and then turns her head to look at him. "Sorry." She mumbles as she lets her feet rest flat on the floor.

"It's okay." He says as he looks at her, and she nods as she slumps forward, no longer facing him, and she lets her head hang.

"Is it physically possible for me to be more sore than I was yesterday?"

"Ooh, poor baby. Come here." Kim walks over and holds her hands out toward her.

"Normally, I'd have a snarky comment for you patronizing me, but I just don't care enough right now." Jay places her hands in hers and lets her slowly pull her to her feet. "My legs are on fire."

"You should stretch, or you'll regret it later." Henry tells her.

"I regret it now."

"I think we have a heating blanket. Maybe that'll help your muscles relax, and then you can just stop running with Henry." Kim tells her.

"Running's good for you. We just won't overdo it next time." Her brother argues.

"Jeremy, carry me." Jay holds her arms out to him, and he sighs as he walks over to her. "Holy shit. He's listening."

"Come on, cripple." He uses his forearm to knock her knees out from under her and then he swings her legs as lifts her up. She starts laughing as she yells at him not to drop her.

"The hell's gotten into him?" Henry motions to Paul, who's looking in the direction that the siblings just disappeared.

"Dude's whipped." Jared laughs, and it only makes him crack up even more when Paul flips him off.

"He imprinted on Jay." Kim tells her brother, and he nods.

"Fantastic. Jared, go home. Paul, Sam needs you." Henry says, and then heads into the kitchen to find himself some food. He worked late and never had a chance to eat dinner.

They hear a loud thud, and then Jeremy's laughing while he apologizes to his younger sister. Jay shoves passed him as she walks back out into the living room. The older boy walks out after her and then dodges the spoon that she chucks at him.

"I thought your legs hurt." Kim says, and the little brunette nods.

"Mhm. And now so does my head." Jay pulls an ice pack out of the freezer and holds it to the side of her head. "Can we trade brothers?"

She chuckles as the two Quileute boys start toward the door. "Why? Apparently they both abuse you." She says, and Jay sighs.

"I get to lay in bed all day today, right?" She asks. "You're not dragging me to the beach again or anything?"

"No, we can stay in." Kim tells her as she walks into the kitchen as well. "Let's watch some more movies and eat junk food."

"I love you. You're my new favorite person." She says as she starts back for their room. "Now, what's for breakfast?"

"Cold pizza." She smiles, and the younger girl starts laughing when Henry mumbles under his breath about his sister's food addiction.

Jay gets up early the next morning to go for a short run before school; she doesn't want to go too many days without getting some form of workout in. While she's making her way back toward the house, she starts to get a feeling like someone's watching her. Her footsteps slow as she lifts the bottom of her shirt to pull out the knife that's on the harness she's wearing. She passes the street that she lives on as she glances around the area, and then someone suddenly grabs her.

She swings the blade up as her back's pinned against a tree, and she finds herself looking up into familiar dark brown eyes as a hand covers her mouth. Tyler raises his other hand and holds his index finger to his lips, telling her to stay quiet. She doesn't remove the knife from his throat as she looks into his eyes, and he doesn't make any other movements.

Years feel like they pass as the two remain completely silent, and then the quiet is interrupted by a laugh. "You two look cozy." Stefan says, and they both turn to see him leaning against a tree a few feet away from them.

Jay moves her knife and then shoves Tyler back a step. "What the hell are you two doing here?"

"Saving your life."

"The two who almost got my brother killed?" She questions. "Also known as, the humanity-less dick who force-fed Elena his blood and nearly drove her off Wickery Bridge, and my ex who tried to bleed me dry?" She laughs humorlessly. "Yeah, my heroes."

"Stefan forced Klaus to make his hybrids leave Mystic Falls, so he sent a few of them here to watch you and Jeremy. But we don't know what for." Tyler quickly explains, and she looks back at him. "We've killed two so far. One of them was trailing you on your run, Stefan got him."

"Why would you even bother?" Jay looks back at the vampire. "You've made it pretty damn clear that you don't give a rats ass about any of us anymore. When Elena told you that the hybrids were after Jeremy, your exact words were not my problem."

"I'm sorry, Jay." Stefan says, and she scoffs.

"You don't know how to be sorry, Stefan." She shakes her head. "I have to get back and get ready for school. Kill the damn hybrids, clean up your mess, and then leave." The little brunette turns around and walks away from them, not wanting to be around either one of them anymore.