twenty-two

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

"I still can't believe that you got me in trouble with Henry." Jay says as she and Bella make their way over to their table in the school cafeteria.

"Me?" The older girl questions. "I can't believe you got me in trouble with Henry."

"You're the one who crashed the damn bike." She argues. "Now, he says that I'm not allowed on mine until I'm old enough to get a motorcycle license."

"You mean the old family friend that you're living with is forcing you to obey the law?" She says sarcastically. "The audacity."

"Okay, you know what? You can be replaced." Jay says, and Bella chuckles as they both sit down with their friends.

"I did see something in the woods." Angela's arguing with the others.

"Totally. Baby, I believe you." Eric says, holding her hand.

"No, he doesn't." Jessica shakes her head. "He's just trying to get lucky." She says, and he laughs as he looks at her.

"No, okay. It was jet black and huge." The raven-haired girl insists. "On all fours, it was still taller than a person... A bear, maybe?"

"Or an alien." Mike interjects. "You're lucky you didn't get probed."

"Hey!" Jay throws a grape at him. "We only talk about aliens if it's Stitch...or E.T."

"Actually, you're not the only one who's seen something in the woods." Bella says, and everyone then looks at her. "My dad's been getting reports at the station. Like, five hikers have been killed by some bear, but they can't find the bear." She tells them, and Angela turns to glare at her boyfriend.

"Bad Yogi." The youngest mutters as she throws a grape up into the air and catches it in her mouth.

"Last time you clowns doubt my girlfriend." Eric says, shooting a pointed look at Mike.

"Ooh." Jay chuckles. "Jess was right. Someone is angling to get laid."

"So crude." Mike shakes his head at her, and she smirks. "And so tiny. It's not right."

"It's fun." She counters. "Keeps me entertained."

"Hey, speaking of entertainment..." Bella gets her attention, and the younger girl looks at her as she pops another grape into her mouth. "We're still going tonight, right?"

"That depends. Can you behave yourself?" Jay asks, and she smirks.

"Yes."

"Okay, but Kim refuses to watch another horror film. I promised we'd go with action this time."