fourteen

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

"I really wish you would stop doing that."

"Too bad." Kim smiles as she looks up at Jay. The older girl is currently in the process of planning the birthday party for the two siblings who live with her.

"You have veto power." The little brunette says as she turns to Henry, who's currently placing  blow after blow on the punching bag in their living room. "Control your sister."

He stops and looks at her. "How much control have I really had over any of you since you got here?" He questions.

"Well, then, it sounds like it's time for you to take control. Buck up, Marine!"

Henry chuckles. "You're an adorable kid. Fight your own battles, it's good for character building." He says as he returns to his workout.

"I think I've built up great character." Jay argues. "Oh, and your sister's insane."

The front door opens, and the three boys walk in. They're still carrying on their own conversation while Jay argues with Kim about the party, and the older girl stops briefly to kiss her boyfriend hello. The girls continue their argument until Kim stands up, turns Jay, and pushes her away from her. The little brunette stumbles right into Paul, and he's quick to steady her. His hands are on her sides as he looks down at her, and neither of them moves for a moment.

"Oh, dude." Jeremy groans. "If you're gonna be that close to my sister, you gotta put a shirt on."

Paul looks up as he steps away from Jay, and she walks over to her phone that just started ringing on the table. "Shut up, Jeremy." He mutters as he goes to get himself something to drink.

"Trust me, man, you don't want to go there anyway."

"The hell is that supposed to mean?" Jay questions as she turns to look at her older brother.

"You're a little complicated in the ex department." He says, and she raises her eyebrows as she answers her phone before it can go to voicemail.

"I think I'm gonna have to kill your brother."

"I think we've lost enough family. Don't you?" Elena asks.

"How about if I just maim him then?" She asks, and Elena chuckles.

"What'd he do?"

"He's bringing up exes, like he has any room to talk." Jay tells her. "I've only got one ex, and last I saw him, we parted on good terms. Unlike Jeremy, who cheated on his last girlfriend." She says, and he looks down. "Yeah, bite me, jackass."