twenty-nine

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

"Who the hell let that evil bitch into my house?" Damon questions when he sees Isobel following after Jay and Ric.

"Be nice, Damon." His best friend tells him. "At least for now."

Isobel asks to speak to him in the other room, and he narrows his blue eyes at the other two before following after her. Bella, Paul, and Jake have no idea what just happened or who she is, and none of them ask.

Jay sighs as Ric wraps his arm around her and pulls her into his side, and her dark eyes shut as she winds her arms around his torso. "You're gonna be fine." He whispers. "You may only be fifteen, but you are the strongest, most resilient kid that I have ever met. And I am so proud of you." He tells her, then uses his thumb to wipe tears from her cheeks.

"I don't know how to say goodbye to you." Jeremy says as he walks over to her, and she smiles as she shakes her head.

"I'm not gonna say goodbye, 'cause I'm gonna live everyday to make you proud too. Can't say goodbye if that's the goal." She tells him, and he nods before reaching out and pulling her into a hug. "I love you, Jer-Bear." She says, and he chuckles.

"I love you, little sister." He takes a deep breath as he pulls back. "Marie went to see Bonnie, to be with her when she puts the veil back up. She said to remind you of your last goodbye." He tells her, and she lets out a choked-up laugh.

"I remember." She nods.

"Hey, kid?" Lexi gets her attention from where she's standing beside Stefan. "Never lose your spunk. It's fun watching you take on the world."

"Man, I really liked you." The little brunette says. "I'm gonna have to kick Damon's ass for killing you." She says, and Lexi chuckles.

Damon and Isobel walk back into the room then, and Jay looks over at them. She sighs when her eyes land on the raven-haired woman who walks over to her. Isobel reaches up to move the teenager's hair away from her face, but Jay takes a step back.

"I understand why you hate me." She begins.

"I don't hate you, Isobel." Jay shakes her head. "I don't anything you. You got knocked up, you left me with your ex's older brother, and then fourteen years later you screwed with our lives. You threatened to kill me and Jeremy unless Elena gave you the Gilbert device, and then you practically handed Elena over to Klaus. You mean as little to me as any other monster we faced."

"I'm sorry that I wasn't a better mother." Isobel says, and she shrugs.

"I think Elena said it best — Thank you for being such a colossal disappointment. It keeps the image of my real mother perfectly intact." She tells her. "Goodbye, Isobel."