six

CHAPTER SIX

There's a persistent knocking on the front door until Jay finally makes it down the stairs and opens it to see who's on the other side. "Oh, thank God." Tyler sighs as she nudges him back and steps outside as well, closing the door behind her. "You haven't been answering your phone."

"I was making breakfast with Ric, didn't really want to have this particular conversation in front of him." She tells him, and he nods.

"I'm sorry. I'm so, so— I could say it a million times, and it would never be enough." He steps forward, and she looks down. "I don't know what happened."

"It's because you're new to vampirism." She says as her gaze meets his again. "Stefan had to stop Vicki from killing Jeremy, and then Caroline from killing Matt. I wasn't thinking. I'm sorry."

"You're— You have nothing to be sorry about." He's looking at the scarf around her neck. "I didn't hurt you too bad, did I?" He asks, and she shakes her head.

"No. I have a band-aid on it now, and I'll use cover up later. It shouldn't scar, and it doesn't really even hurt." She tells him. "I put vervain in my coffee this morning — I usually do anyway. You know, 'cause necklaces come off pretty easily, but I had run out of what I had. Stefan would give it to me from the stash in the Boarding House basement, but he flipped his switch, and I didn't want to ask Damon. But I went by the Boarding House late last night, so—"

Tyler cuts off her rambling by leaning down and pressing his lips against hers. He rests his hands on either side of her face as she kisses him back, and her hands settle on his ribs over his shirt as she steps closer to him. After a few seconds, he pulls back, resting his forehead against hers.

"I don't know how yet, but I am going to make this up to you." He promises.

"Just as long as you don't break up with me like Care did with Matt." Jay says, and he shakes his head as he stands up straight and looks down at her.

"You clearly know more about all of this than I do, so I'll go with whatever you say." He tells her, and she offers him a small smile.

"It really isn't your fault, Ty. You don't have anyone helping you quite like the others did." She says. "Stefan said it's linked to your emotions, which are heightened. Maybe I should be flattered that you feel something for me that strongly."

"You're insane." He says, amused by her comment, and she chuckles.

"It keeps life interesting." The little brunette says as she stretches up onto her tippy-toes and wraps her arms around his neck. "Apology accepted, I'm not mad at you. We'll both be mindful to be more careful from now on."