four

CHAPTER FOUR

"Why are you always in here?" Jay questions as she walks into her bedroom and sees Damon turning away from her sister's bed. But then she sees that Elena looks oddly pale. "Is she okay?"

"You missed a lot tonight." The raven-haired vampire says, and she raises her eyebrows. "Do you really want to know, kid?"

"Might as well find out now. It'll be better than finding out when it bites me in the ass." She says, and he nods as motions for her to sit with him on her bed.

"Klaus and Stefan came back, and then that hybrid bastard compelled Stefan to turn off his emotions." He tells her, and her eyes widen. "Klaus knows that Elena's alive, and it turns out that it's her blood that turns werewolves into hybrids; so, he wants her to stay alive for that reason, and he's made Stefan her personal bodyguard. And, uh... He turned Tyler into a hybrid tonight."

"What?!"

"Yeah." He nods. "Oh, and Klaus left town, but he left his bitchy, blonde sister behind."

"Is that everything?" She asks. "Please tell me that that's everything."

"Everything that's important for you to know before you go to school tomorrow."

She nods. "This town really is hell, isn't it?"

"Closest thing to it on earth is my guess." He shrugs. "We'll survive. We always do."

"Not all of us always do." She mutters and then stands up to walk around her bed.

"You okay, kid?" He asks, and she nods.

"It's just the close to another business-as-usual day in Mystic Falls. At least no one's getting buried six-feet-under this time." Jay says, and he leaves her alone after that, as that's obviously what she wants.

The next morning, Jeremy's banging on the bathroom door, irritated because his sisters have been hogging it all morning. The youngest opens the door that leads to his room and glares at him. "Other people live here too, you know?" He says, and she nods.

"Elena and I were up at five-fifteen this morning to train with Ric. You could've gotten your lazy ass out of bed to take your shower before we got back." She says, and he pushes his way past her. "Hey, can I borrow a t-shirt?" She calls after he closes the door between them.

"Knock yourself out!" He yells as he turns on the shower, and she walks over to his dresser.

At school, Jay runs through the parking lot and she sees Matt climbing out of his truck. She jumps on his back after he shuts the driver's door and he stumbles, then they both hit the ground. She starts laughing as he rolls over to look at her.