nine

CHAPTER NINE

"Okay, I have no idea where we are." Jeremy says as he looks around the airport.

"Port Angeles." His sister tells him, and he flicks her ear. "Ow!" She spins around and punches him in the arm.

"I know what city we're in, you pain in my ass."

"You didn't specify!"

"Now, now, children — violence isn't the answer." A male voice gets their attention, and both teenagers turn around to find a slightly familiar man with dirty blond hair looking at the two of them, seemingly amused by their behavior.

"Henry?" Jeremy asks, uncertain, and he smiles.

"Come on, I don't look that different, do I?"

"Well, I was only six the last I saw you, so I have no idea." Jay shrugs.

"I remember." He nods. "You've both grown up a lot since then."

"Yeah, well, that was nine years ago."

"Come on. Kim's waiting at the car." He holds his hand out for Jay's bag, and she passes it to him before she and her brother follow him through the airport. "When we talked on the phone, you said that you were alright keeping your stuff in my room and sleeping on the pullout couch in the living room, but if you want more privacy, I can sleep in the living room instead." Henry says.

"You don't have to do that." Jeremy shakes his head.

"Teenagers should have access to a place where they can be alone. Especially when sharing a limited amount of space with two girls."

"I won't argue that one." He says, and Jay turns to glare at her brother briefly.

"I got the room all set for you." Henry tells him. "Brand new sheets and pillow, an empty dresser for your stuff. My dresser's still in there, but the room's yours otherwise."

"You're sure it's alright? I don't wanna put you out of your own room."

"I get in late sometimes anyway. It'll work out better so that I don't wake you." He insists, and the teenage boy nods.

"Alright, thanks." Jeremy says, and he nods.

They make it outside, and Henry leads them to his car in the parking lot. They see a teenage girl with dark brown hair that's pulled back into a ponytail. She smiles when she sees them walking over to her, revealing a row of straight, pearly white teeth.

"I actually forgot how much you two look nothing alike." Jay says, making Kim laugh.

"My white-boy big brother."