twenty-one

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

It's a few weeks after the new year now, and things had been going well between Jay and Embry for awhile, but then he started distancing himself from her. She doesn't understand why, but she also can't get him on the phone to talk to him about what's going on. So instead, she's just been spending as much time with Bella and Jake as possible while they work on the bikes.

Sometimes Kim goes with her to the barn, but not very often. The Quileute girl either spends her free time with Jared — when he's not busy with some mysterious thing that keeps him away from the house — or she's working on stuff for school. She was struggling last semester and she didn't do too well, so she wants to keep from letting the same thing happen all over again.

Jay hasn't seen Paul since a few days after Christmas either, not since he told her that she should be with Embry, and he should keep his distance. She wanted to thank him for the stuffed Stitch that he left for her, but he seems to be keeping to his word of maintaining his distance from her.

The little brunette gets home from Jake's one day, and she sees Jared sitting with Kim in the living room. They're watching a movie, so she just keeps moving through the house without saying a word. She glances around as she walks to her room, hoping to see Paul hanging around, but knowing that he won't be there. She tries to convince herself that she's not disappointed.

About an hour later, Jay goes to get some dinner, and Jared walks into the kitchen to get some water. She glances over as she's going through the fridge. "Hey, can you do me a favor?" She asks, and he smirks.

"Need something off the top shelf?" He teases, and she pushes him away from the fridge when he walks over to her. "What do you need?"

"Just, uh... The next time that you see Paul, can you thank him for me?" She asks as she then looks at him. "He left me a present for Christmas, and I haven't seen him since I found it. I've been wanting to thank him myself, but..." She trails off, and he nods.

"Yeah, you got it." He says, and she smiles.

"How, uh... How is he?" She asks, and he takes a deep breath.

"Angry, most of the time." He tells her. "He's got it rough at home, and it's been getting worse lately. Sam and I try to help, but he doesn't accept it so easily."

"Is he alright?"

"Yeah." He nods, seeing the concern on her face. "He's stubborn, and he... He gets himself into trouble sometimes. But he'll be fine." He says, and she just nods.

She takes some leftover pizza into the girls' bedroom and does her homework until Elena calls to talk to her. The older girl just calls to check in every now and then, see how her sister's doing with school and everything in La Push and Forks. Elena's not too keen on the idea of her sister riding a motorcycle, but she does think it's really cool that Jay's learning how to restore them.