Chapter Thirty-Six

The brutal death of Dorcas Meadowes shocked the wizarding community

The brutal death of Dorcas Meadowes shocked the wizarding community. According to the Prewetts, Dorcas was killed by The Dark Lord himself.

"I'm sick of burying people." Cassiane said to the brothers who nodded. "Were you close?"

"We got to know her in the Order. It was a matter of time before they killed her. That gift of hers, was very important to the Order."

Philip Evans waved at Cassiane, so she excused herself and walked to her brother. "What is it?"

"Is it true that Lily's going to have her baby anytime soon?"

Despite the sorrow of losing another member, Cassiane smiled. "Yeah. You should stick around and visit her at the hospital."

He shook his hand and handed her a beautiful pair of trousers, for the baby. "I can't... I'm not even supposed to be here today. Give this to Lily and James from me, will you? And tell them that I'm sorry for not being there."

Cassiane furrowed her brows. "Why are you always in such a hurry?"

"Top secret, Cassie. I'll see you around."

She groaned, annoyed by his mysterious response. Her brother seemed to be in an undercover mission all the time, which troubled Cassiane. Dorcas was the only other person that had been undercover, working for the Muggle Prime Minister. And Dorcas was also dead.

Philip had just apparated when a couple of hooded people stormed at the cemetery, with masks covering her face.

Cassiane glanced at Remus, who immediately understood that the Death Eaters had found out both the location and the time of the funeral.

It only took them minutes to start casting curses on all the people, even to the children that were there. Sirius pointed his wand at one and yelled; "Avada Kedavra!"

Despite being taken aback, the other members quickly took part in the battle. Sharon stunned a few and run to protect Dorcas' nephew, whose mother had lost her wand.

Cassiane didn't fail to notice that Peter seemed uncertain of what to do. He hesitated to cast even the simplest spells, until he realised that she was side glancing at him. Due to the heat of the moment, however, that incident slipped from her mind.

Fabian shouted something to her, but Cassiane couldn't hear him.

"Cas!" Remus yelled, making her turn around. A man twice her size pulled a knife out of his jacket and stuck it into her arm.

"Don't worry," he growled, "it's not going to hurt that much in a while." Cassiane felt sick as he pulled her closer and pulled out the knife, preparing to stab her again, this time in the chest.

"Go to hell." She mumbled, flashing him with a smile. "Avada Kedavra."

His dead body fell to the side and Cassiane wiped the blood from her arm. "Who the hell brings a knife when the other have wands?"

Remus sighed in relief, knowing that Cassiane was safe, while Sharon cheered as the last Death Eaters standing apparated away.

"I can't believe that they attacked us in front of all those muggles, in the middle of the day. Not to mention that they didn't even have enough decency to allow us to honour Dorcas." Fabian growled while taking a look at Cassiane's arm. "Do you know any spells we can do to help you?"

"It's alright, I'm not in pain." She assured him, while Remus rushed to reach her and carefully hugged her. For a second, he thought he would lose her and he hated himself for hesitating to use some short of spell to help her get out of that situation.

"Cas, do you think you can apparate with me?" He asked, while wrapping a bandage around the cut from the knife. She smirked, surprised that he casually carried bandages with him.

"Yeah, no problem. It's not even that bad, Rem, I promise." Cassiane told him.

"We have a problem." Gideon informed them, while helping some of the other people that had been injured during the duel. "There have been attacks in many houses of Order members and according to Dumbledore, you should all stay in a public spot for a while, until the Aurors give you permission to return to your house."

"How do you know?" Fabian wondered and his brother showed him a letter he had just received.

"Have all the members been informed?" Cassiane asked him, thinking of Lily and James. Although she didn't want to alarm them, without any reason, she couldn't risk them being attacked.

"Yeah, they sent messages with the patronus." Gideon stated.

"We can't stay here forever." Peter said, out of a sudden. "They know that some of us are wounded and we're vulnerable."

"Good point Pete." Sirius agreed and approached Sharon. "We have to find Lily and James, I left Michelle with them." His girlfriend nodded and after saying a quick goodbye to their friends ,they apparated, in order to search for their daughter.

"What do you suggest Rem?" Cassiane wondered, taking the arm he was offering.

"Well, I guess it's not the best time for a break, however, I'd love to take you to a café I spotted yesterday, during patrol. If you're interested, we can try it out." He proposed, earning a wide smile from the brunette.

"Lead the way."

The café Remus had mentioned, truly seemed wonderful. Despite its small size, once they stepped inside, the smell of coffee and of fresh baked goods impressed them. There were a few customers, some of them quietly discussing, gathered around the small tables and others buying a few things on their own. Cassiane chose a table at the corner of the shop.

"If you don't like it-"

"As long as we're safe and they manage to bring me some food, it's perfect." Cassiane assured him and planted a kiss on his cheek. "What are you going to order?"

"Hot cocoa and a croissant." He replied, while checking the menu. "And you?"

"I'll have the same." 

A/N; Say hi to Philip!