Chapter Forty-Five

"I love this photo

"I love this photo." Peter commented, pointing at a moving picture of the Order. "It's from 1979 the last meeting of the year, right?"

Cassiane chuckled, amazed by her friend's lack of memory. "That was from our very first one, Peter!" With the Potters and Sirius hiding and Remus staying with the werewolves, she had no one else to turn to but Peter.  She hadn't heard from them in ages.

"What about this one?" He asked, showing her a photo of the girls. Even Dorcas had agreed to participate in it and they were all dancing in the snow, wearing their pyjamas.

"It's from Christmas Eve, 1979, actually. Oh, I'll write discriptions for each one of them. Can you give me a hand?"

They were attempting to organise the album Cassiane had bought a few years ago for Remus and Peter aimed to gather some information, hoping that she had learnt her cousin's location. None of them had suspected that the slow, innocent Peter was the actual rat.

"This one is from the Potter's manor, back when we were at school." Perer explained. "I think it's before our sixth year... Yeah definitely."

"Great. I have few pictures from our time at Hogwarts and Marlene... Well, Marlene gave me a couple." Cassiane recited and nibbled on her bottom lip. "She wrote letters to all of our classmates and asked if they had any."

"That sounds like a lot of trouble for a photo album." Peter commented and she knitted her brows.

"Probably... I'll always remember it, though. I find it extremely comforting, to be able to see their faces through this collection. It's almost like they're still here, with me."

He bit his tongue and his expression hardened. Most of the times, Peter hated himself for everything he had done and the pain he had caused to the people that were his friends. He had revealed where the Prewetts and Philip were the day of their death, he had advised Bellatrix to attack Marlene's house.

"I get it. This one in particular with Sharon and Sirius looks so real."

"Yeah... By the way, Peter, I've been meaning to ask. You haven't taken any sides about the problem with the traitor... Is there anyone that you suspect?"

He stared at her for a few seconds, wondering if the kind hearted Cassiane would forgive him if he told her the truth, before it was too late. Then, Peter lowered his gaze and shook his head negatively. It was too late. They would never forgive him and there was no going back. He had to finish the job and part of him wanted to.

"Right... Any special plans for tonight? It's Halloween!"

Once again, he replied negatively. "I haven't planned anything in particular. I'll might visit my mother, I haven't seen her in ages. I should get going, Cas, to leave you in peace."

"Don't be ridiculous, you can stay as long as you want. Thank you for passing by. It really means a lot Peter, especially now that everyone is hiding." Cassiane thanked him, unaware of Peter's horrifying plan.

"You're welcome, Cassie." He responded.

She closed the door and secured the house, casting a few protective charms, although she knew that the Death Eaters would manage to break in, if they really wanted to.

Cassiane placed the album back at the library she had recently bought for their house. Remus' absence became more and more painful each day and the fact that he couldn't write to her was the worst part. Each time there was a full moon, she stared at it for hours, hoping that Remus was healthy, safe and most importantly, alive.

She stared at a small pile of letters that had arrived during the day, including one from her parents. Unfortunately, Cassiane didn't have the chance to answer them, since someone was trying to open the door.

Having learnt her lesson, Cassiane checked through the door's peephole. Remus was standing outside, shivering from the cold air that was blowing and soaked to the bone from the pouring rain.

She quickly let him in and pulled him in s bone crashing hand, with no intention of letting him go, ever again.

"Rem... I... How, how did you come back?"

"They were all so restless and last night's full moon turned into a disaster. Some of them left the caves and attacked villages." He explained. "Something big is about to happen, soon. I'd never seen them acting like that before."

Cassiane gave him a reassuring smile and helped him get comfortable on the couch as she hurried to bring warm clothes and blankets. He was still shivering, so she trew a few pieces of wood at the fireplace and lit a fire bu whispering; "Incendio."

"You didn't ask me the password." Remus scolded her, while slowly warming up.

Cassiane didn't even reply and shut his lips with hers instead. He kissed her back and her stomach twisted in a knot, almost like they hadn't shared a kiss before. She had missed Remus, even his worst habits and having him back seemed like a lie.

But as she melted under his soft touch, as his fingers travelled in her skin and hair, Cassiane was finally convinced that Remus had came back to her.

"I don't care." She muttered, out of breath. "I... I thought that you weren't going to return. No one could tell me anything and so much have happened to our friends since you left and-" Cassiane stopped, to prevent her tears from falling and lower her heartbeat.

"I'm so sorry... I should have never left you. Every single day, I regretted my decision, but I... I hesitated to abandon the mission." Remus explained. "At least I'm here now so... if you still want me around-"

"Of course, Remus! Did they hurt you?" Realisation struck when she helped him take off his wet shirt. She noticed the pale colour of his skin and the bruises, the cuts all over his body.

"They are, well they were violent." He replied dryly. "I was the newcomer and they knew each other better, so they didn't hesitate to channel their anger on me."

A/N; Hi everyone.
I cant believe that only one chapter is left... Hopefully some of you are as invested to this as I am.
Anyways, we still have another one to go, and stay tuned for updates, because the book might be over soon, but the story won't be. A sequel is on the way!
See you all tomorrow, for our very last chapter.
Athanasia ❤️