Chapter Forty-Four

"It just keeps getting worse, doesn't it?" Cassiane bit her lip and tried to bring a cup of tea to her mouth, a task rather easy

"It just keeps getting worse, doesn't it?" Cassiane bit her lip and tried to bring a cup of tea to her mouth, a task rather easy. Unfortunately her shaking hands turned it into an extremely challenging one.

"Put that down, you're going to pour it over you." Lily adivsed and steadied her hands. "I'm the one that should be getting stressed, not you."

"Lily, you shouldn't. We only know that you're in danger because of Snape so, you might not be at all!" Sirius argued, sending a glare towards the brunette.

She turned the other way and avoided his judgemental gaze. Sirius seemed to observe her every move but she didn't mind, as long as it would be enough to make him change his mind.

"That's right. How can Dumbledore be sure that You-know-who is specifically interested in Harry?" Peter wondered, while grabbing a cup of the hot tea too. Unfortunately he appeared to be quite nervous himself, as he knocked it down, pouring the hot liquid all over him and Lily's couch.

"I hope this didn't hurt you too much, Wormtail." James commented and used magic to undo the damage.

"I knew it was going to happen." Lily smiled weakly and gave Peter a new cup. "Be a little more careful, if you can."

"Peter, it is Harry. You know how deeply I hate Sniv... Snape, but when it comes to Lils, I must admit that I feel like I can trust his confession to Dumbledore." James replied, giving an answer to his friends question.

"So what's our next step? Surely Dumbledore suggested something that we can do to prevent them from hurting Harry."

"There is actually... I'm just not sure yet, if it's a solution we can rely on."

"Tell us Lils." Cassiane pleaded. She was prepared to go to great lengths to save her nephew and she bet that his parents wouldn't hesitate either.

"We have to start hiding." Lily explainedand James continued; " We will leave our house, since its location is known to the Order and therefore to the traitor and we will find another one."

Sirius scowled at him. "That's a wonderful plan, except from the fact thar they'll track you within seconds, if you're lucky enough to make it until then."

"As much as I appreciate your optimism, mate that's half of the plan. The most important part is that we are going to find ourselves a secret keeper."

"What's a secret keeper?" Peter questioned. He looked like he was trying very hard to concentrate and mentally note down everything James had said.

"Someone that will keep our secret Pete!"

"Splendid." Cassiane commented. "Any other bright suggestions?"

"That's not what he meant to say." Lily corrected her husband, as a line appeared between her brows. "A secret keeper is someone designated to hide a secret, by means of the Fidelius Charm." Noticing Peter's frown, the redhead decided to explain that role a bit better. "The person that becomes a secret keeper is the only one capable to reveal that secret and they have to do it willingly, since it cannot be extracted by torture or any other methods."

"I've heard about it somewhere... Isn't it dangerous for that person?"

"Oh yes... Which is why we can't ask from any of you to do it, although we trust you all. The keeper is in much more danger than the people they protect, us in this case."

Cassiane took her cousin's hands in hers and her mouth curved into a smile. "I'm offering to take this task, Lils. Harry must be very important since the Order is trying to keep you all unharmed and I sworn to help."

"I should do it." Sirius interfered, pretending not to have listened to the woman's words. "I've kept secrets for years, I'm used to it by now."

"But what about Michelle?"

"What about her Pete?"

"Isn't it too risky? I probably sound very pessimistic..."

Cassiane nodded, glancing at her goddaughter who was aimlessly strolling around the garden, completely unaware of the problems that burdened her family. "He's right Sirius, Michelle won't he able-"

"It's not your call, Cassiane." He reminded her. "James, Lily, I am at your disposal."

The couple exchanged a quick look and sighed, unsure of whom they should chose. Despite the fact that they trusted them both, they feared that Cassiane wasn't prepared to keep something so important from everyone, including Remus. On the other hand, Sirius didn't really have anyone to talk about that anymore, except perhaps from Peter.

"Cassie, I think we're going to chose Sirius, if that's alright." Lily said and James nodded.

"Okay." Cassiane mumbled. Their decision was quite irrational in her opinion, considering that if anything happened to Sirius, Michelle would be left an orphan. However, she feared that if she tried to talk them out of it, Sirius would accuse her of being a traitor again.

Peter crossed his arms and sunk into the couch, glancing at Harry, who had been quietly playing at his crib. "What is Sirius supposed to do now?"

"Leave the house he has had so far and tomorrow we will find Dumbledore and ask for further instructions."

Sirius nodded, before sadness clouded his features. Cassiane realised that he had something else in his mind and approached him ss they were about to leave the Potters. "What's wrong? Is it too much?"

For a moment the man completely forgot about his theory. "I can't be with Michelle and a secret keeper at the same time. You heard James; it's dangerous."

"I could help with that, if you want. She'll be safe with us and you won't worry about her getting in harm's way."

"No... no it's fine actually." He stuttered. "She'll probably stay with my cousin, Andromeda and her family. They're great people, trustworthy."

Cassiane shrugged and searched for James and Lily, thinking that she wouldn't probably have the chance to meet them again in a while. "I'm going to miss this house... So many amazing memories."

"We'll see you soon, Cassie. Oh, by the way tell Remus about the plan and let him know that I miss him." James said and his eyes glistened.

At that time none of them knew, of course, but they were never going to see each other again.

Lily's mouth curved into a smile as Cassiane picked up Harry and hugged him tightly. "Leave Bambi alone."

A/N; in case anyone is confused, they are talking about the prophecy Sibyl Trelawny made, that a boy born at the end of July, would be the one to kill Voldemort. Voldemort thought it would be Harry and Snape shared that with Dumbledore, in order to protect Lily. (This is a safe Snape slander place btw, but don't go too far 😂)