Chapter Twelve

Cassiane nervously bit her lips as she watched her friends coming towards her

Cassiane nervously bit her lips as she watched her friends coming towards her. Those holidays had given her enough time to accept her feelings for Remus and his relationship with Faith. Despite the two weeks she had spent away from them, she still panicked as she caught sight of them.

"Cassiane! Happy new year!" Faith squealed with excitement and wrapped her arms around her.

"Happy new year everyone! Ah, I missed you."

"So did we, Cas." James smirked. "Where's Evans?"

"I... I... She was right behind me..." She stuttered

It wasn't extremely hard to track Lily, as some seconds later she began yelling at Snape. Her friends didn't have any time to react and she slapped him.

James didn't even think of making an effort to hide his happiness and approached with a grin plastered on his face

"I swear Potter, if you say one word you'll regret the day you were born." Lily threatened and showed the wand that she held tightly.

Even he was clever enough to get out of her way. Cassiane decided to follow her, expecting that she would open up.

"Come on Marls. We shouldn't leave her alone."

Once Lily seemed calmer, the blonde carefully tapped her back. "Hey Lily. We couldn't let you walk away without making sure you were alright."

Plenty of tears were running down her cheeks as she faced the girls. "He... he called me a... mudblood."

Cassiane furrowed her brows. For some strange reason, she denied to accept that Snape had used that offensive term. "He begged me to tell you how sorry he was. Are you sure-"

"Of course I'm sure Cassiane!" Lily interrupted her. "I only wanted to wish Merry Christmas because we used to spent it together and he pretended he didn't remember my name. Severus laughed at me, in front of his whole house and when I touched his shoulder, he shouted 'Go away little mudblood.'"

Marlene sent a worried look at Cassiane. Sirius and James had been standing close to them the whole time, eavesdropping.

"Evans, did he hurt you?" The Captain growled.

"It's none of your business Potter. I would really appreciate if you stayed quiet." Lily replied.

"I'm going to break his face-"

"Don't you dare." she warned him. None of them could explain why she still protected Snape.

"Okay Lily." James answered. "I won't touch him."

Cassiane seriously doubted the sincerity of his words and Sirius hadn't stop sending angry looks at the Slytherin table. Even though she was sure they would come up with a way to punish Snape, she didn't want to prevent them from giving him a lesson. Her cousin had been his only friend for many years and she didn't deserve that in return.

"Lily, would you like us to let you calm down for a while?" Marlene proposed and wrapped the redhead with a jacket.

"No, you and Cas can stay. Black, Potter, would you mind?"

None of them rose any objections and in fact Sirius didn't even add a sarcastic comment.

"Am I going crazy, or did they actually leave?"

"They did Marls. The day's full of surprises."

~~~

"I hate full moons." James complained as he and Peter were on their way to the Whomping Willow, the place where Remus's transformations happened.

"You're not the only one. Where's Sirius?"

"He had to study."

Peter crossed his arms. "It's the first time he stays behind."

James brought a finger to his lips and pointed at the tree. There was someone else there and they had no trouble recognising him. "That's Snape."

He pressed the knot and disappear inside the hidden passage.

"Someone revealed the secret."

"Did you figured that on your own?" James asked sarcastically. "Call McGonagall and Madam Pomfrey. I have this bad feeling that we'll need them both."

Peter didn't dare to argue with his friend, who rushed to follow Snape. It was hard to get through the secret passage even when he wasn't in a hurry, so he didn't reach at Remus before the Slytherin did.

Remus heard the footsteps and assumed his friends had arrived. The sight of Severus, standing at the hall and pointing at him with his wand was rather unexpected.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"I always knew that something was off with you, freak. Even your friend, Black was disgusted. He spat out all the details I needed to catch you in the act and here I am, standing in front of a werewolf." Snape bragged.

"You've made a terrible mistake Severus. I'm begging you to leave." Remus shouted in despair. His whole back was aching, a classic warning that the transformation was about to begin.

"Nah, I won't let this opportunity slip from my hands. Avada-"

"Expelliarmus!"  James stormed and successfully prevented a murder.

Remus's relief was short lived, as huge claws showed up and every bone of his body hurt like breaking.
His head and body were lengthening while fur appeared everywhere. Seconds later, nobody could have guessed that the creature in front of them had anything to do with Remus Lupin.

Unfortunately, the shock of watching the transformation didn't stop Snape from trying to kill the man.

"Damnit Snape, I actually can hate you more than I already do." James mumbled as he grabbed the Slytherin's wand. "Let's get out of here before it notices us."

Snape was quicker and stole his hand. "Stupefy!" He yelled. Despite finding its target, the spell only managed to irritate the werewolf. The creature jumped into him, throwing him to the ground.

James pushed his transformed friend a few inched away, saving Severus's life. They didn't need to speak in order to conclude that they had to go back to the castle.

"Thanks." Snape whispered an hour later, as the two teenagers were lying next to each other, at the Hospital Wing.

James pretended to be asleep, eyes closed and one thought torturing his mind; Sirius had caused all of that chaos and because of him, Remus's future was at risk.

A/N; Heyy!
I hope you liked this one! Please let me know if you have any suggestions or observations.
Have a great day,
Athanasia ❤️