Chapter Fifteen

"Happy Birthday to you

"Happy Birthday to you... Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Moony, happy birthday to you!"

"Alright Black now stop singing, will you?" Lily requested, annoyed by his cacophony.

Every sixth year from Gryffindor was invited to Remus's party, along with a few friends from other houses that had once again been sneaked inside the Gryffindor Tower. As a result, the common room was crowded with people and Remus felt grateful to be among friends.

"Happy birthday Rem! I didn't have time to buy anything from Hogsmeade so, you'll have to accept a bottle of butterbear as a birthday present." Marlene explained playfully and handed him her gift.

"Wow Marls. That's so thoughtful!" Peter said ironically.

"Well, at least she brought something." Remus reminded him.

Cassiane stood right behind the blonde, shifting her weight from side to side. She had tried very hard to think of an appropriate present, something meaningful but simple.
"Happy birthday!"

"Thanks Cas! Are you having fun?"

She nodded and cleared her throat. Remus looked more confident than usual, since Lily had suggested covering some of his scars using makeup and he wore his favourite blue sweater.

"Yeah.. I... I got you something. Actually my mom did but she sent it to me." Cassiane gave him a small parcel.

"You didn't have to..." He opened it and separately examined each item inside. First of all, she had placed a few chocolates and a woollen winter hat. Then, Remus found the main gift. A vial filled with white pills.

"It's for your headaches." Cassiane clarified. "I've noticed how much you suffer from them and... I really hope this will help, even a little bit. If it works, I can find more for you."

He stared at the vial before hugging Cassiane tightly. She hugged him back and blushed. Remus rarely seeked this type of affection and the poor girl didn't want to let go. However, she caught glimpse of Faith who finally appeared, stunning as usual.

Cassiane immediately pulled back and waved at her. "I... I gotta go. Tell me if it works."

Remus nodded, surprised from the fact that he had hugged her and from her reaction. Meanwhile, Faith had reached him.

They kissed briefly and she showed everyone a short sleeve shirt, her present for him. Remus smiled and promised to wear it for the graduation, even though he doubted it. He hated short sleeves as they only revealed more of the scars he tried so hard to hide.

Cassiane watched from the other side of the room, sitting on a couch with Lily. "He..hugged me."

"It's not that unusual to hug your friends, Cassie."

"Oh, I know... But did you see how his eyes lit up when I gave him those painkillers? He loved my gift, while he clearly didn't like hers."

"Is it my idea or are you a little bit... jealous?" Lily wondered and moved closer to her cousin. "Don't do this to yourself Cassiane. Remus isn't obliged to feel the same way and you should move on. There are so many boys you have impressed-"

A glass was shuttered, by no other than James who, along with Sirius had found some wine and poured into the guests' glasses.

"I'll bring us some." Cassiane decided and ignored Lily's objections. "Hey James. Give me two of those."

"Hold on Cas! I bet you've never drunk before."

"I only want one! The second is for Lils."

James winked at the red haired. "I'll bring the wine Cassiane. You can stay here with Sirius."

"Come on James, you're wasting your time!" Sirius shouted at him, but the Captain was already heading to Lily. "Should we do something?"

"No, no, definitely not." Cassiane responded, the corners of her lips twitching.

As James had quit from being a bartender, she took his place, preparing everything the guests wanted. Cassiane eventually lost sight of Remus who had consumed an unusually large amount of alcohol.

Around midnight the majority of the guests had to leave, in order to return to their dorms without being spotted by the professors. Some attempted to wish once again to Remus for his birthday but he seemed to have disappeared.

Cassiane was about to go to sleep herself when she saw Faith, quietly chatting with Philip. "Where's he?"

"What?" Faith looked at her as if she had made the most incomprehensible question.

"You went somewhere with Remus and no one saw him."

The other woman frowned. "We were at the courtyard and I thought he was having fun but then all of a sudden he asked me to leave."

"He should be here with the guests."

Philip nodded. "Why don't you tell us where to find him?"

"I suppose he must be near the lake. He loves that place."

The Evans siblings quietly wondered through the corridors, hoping they would easily trace their friend. Thankfully, Remus was loudly singing and they followed the source of the noise.

"Hey birthday boy! Having fun, aren't we?" Philip teased, causing his sister to groan.

"How about we put you to bed Rem?" Cassiane suggested and walked towards him.

"Faith said that she...she loved me. She promised to wait for me to finish school." He mumbled, using Cassiane's shoulder to support his weight.

"Well, that's quite nice mate-"

"And I couldn't say a word. Not a single thing." He was on the verge of tears, so Cassiane smiled to cheer him up.

"You can work it all out tomorrow morning. Everything will be easier tomorrow, I promise.." She kneeled by his side and offered her hand

Remus shook his head and unsteadily tucked a stride of her hair behind her ear. "I should've stayed with you tonight but I didn't want to ruin this too."

His words didn't make much sense to Cassiane and then he kissed her fiercely, which certainly didn't make any sense at all.

A/N; Hey everyone!
A KISS! Hurray! Jokes aside, I hope that you're all doing amazing. Take care of yourselves and prioritize your mental and physical health.
Sending you virtual hugs,
Athanasia ❤️