Chapter Thirteen

Remus opened his eyes, which immediately landed on a woman, who was carefully wiping the blood from his face

Remus opened his eyes, which immediately landed on a woman, who was carefully wiping the blood from his face. He tensed and tried to stand up, after recognising that she was Cassiane.

"Shhh. Sit back Rem. You were hurt. Don't worry, I've learnt the truth."

He stared at her wondering whether she had figured out his secret. "You... have?"

She chuckled softly, handing him a glass of water. "You, James and Snape organised a duel. James told me everything. He hasn't stopped talking all night, while Snape just glares at us."

Remus sighed in relief. "Oh, yeah. We were duelling."

"Did Snape really threw you at that tree? The Whomping Willow?"

"Yes, but we took revenge afterwards." James lied, offering some chocolate bars to his friends. "Well, I did, because Moony was mostly unconscious."

"I won, Potter." Snape said unexpectedly. "There were two of you, not to mention that mascot of yours, Pettigrew. And yet, I managed to walk myself to the Hospital Wing."

Cassiane took a closer look of him. Apart from the bruises and scratches, he couldn't breathe properly due to a few broken ribs. "Has madam seen these Severus?"

"She did but clearly I wasn't worth much of her time. Lupin always seems to be everyone's priority here." He growled, sending a deathly glare to the other man.

Remus didn't reply. Snape knew enough to ruin the rest of his life. "Eh James, how did I get here?"

"Peter called professor McGonagall before things got out of control."

Cassiane furrowed her brows. "Where was Sirius? Peter came to check you twice over the night but Sirius..."

"Such a bloody coward." Snape mumbled, confusing the woman even more.

"Why would you say something like that-"

"Sirius didn't show up for the duel, that's what Snape means." James tried to explain, but clearly something else was wrong.

"I don't believe you. You're angry at him, for some reason and even though I can't point it out, you can't trick me."

Remus massaged his temples, refusing to accept the obvious explanation. Sirius had betrayed them, sharing their secrets with Snape. "It doesn't make sense."

"Will you tell me the truth?" Cassiane asked.

"W-well, I'm not sure I-"

"Good morning. Miss Evans, I'm pleased to tell you that Madam Pomfrey trusted me to take care of her patients and you can prepare for your classes." The teenagers watched in awe as Albus Dumbledore walked in the Hospital Wing.

"Professor, I should stay here with my friends." Cassiane argued reluctantly. She would hate to anger the Headmaster, however she didn't feel comfortable with leaving the boys alone.

"Hmm... I admire your commitment, Miss Evans. Unfortunately, your shift ended about two hours ago and you should get some rest before your classes. You can come back after lunch, if you want to."

She nodded, figuring out that he was attempting to make her leave the room. Whatever reason the Headmaster had, Cassiane knew she couldn't object to his decisions. "Very well sir. Has madam informed about the condition of the patients?"

"Oh yes. She also mentioned that mister Snape needs treatment for broken ribs." Dumbledore told Cassiane and she gave up.

"Alright." She looked over her shoulder and caught glimpse of Remus's worried gaze. "I'll be back in no time."

"Perhaps I should get to the point now." Dumbledore suggested, moments after Cassiane closed the door behind her. "Are you aware of what confusion and frustration you caused yesterday?"

None of them dared to utter a word, knowing too well that the situation had gotten completely out of control.

"I see. Mister Snape, I have my suspicions but I'd appreciate it if you told me who gave you the information to pass the Whomping Willow."

"Sirius Black." Snape responded without hesitation. "He lied about how dangerous that disgusting creature really was, though."

James quietly kicked his knee, receiving a stern look from the Headmaster. "Mister Potter, I can handle this without your help. May I ask, why you were there last night?"

"Remus has shared some details about his lycanthropy with us over the past few years, sir. When I saw Snape near the tree I decided to approach him." James couldn't be honest with him, as it was illegal to become an Animagus.

"And mister Pettigrew accompanied you?"

"We were studying, late at night, as usual and we saw Snape from the window."

Dumbledore shook his head and smiled. "How are you mister Lupin?"

"A little worse than usual but I'll be okay soon."

"Do you have any idea why would mister Black confess something so important to mister Snape?"

Remus glanced at the Slytherin for a fleeting moment. "I used to trust Sirius with my life. Despite that I can't forgive him right away, I suppose he has a proper excuse."

"Professor, we can't really be having this conversation. I just found out that Remus Lupin is a werewolf! It is outrageous!" Snape exclaimed. "I don't understand why you haven't already expelled him and his friends."

"It wasn't a secret to me. In fact I was the one that encouraged mister Lupin to accept his invitation to Hogwarts." Dumbledore explained.

"Severus is right, sir. I don't belong here and I don't wish to cause anymore inconvenience-" Remus stated but was cut off by the Headmaster.

"Hogwarts is a second home to all of the students. You have every right to be here. Mister Snape, you will now keep this secret, otherwise you'll be the one to leave our school."

Snape's eyes started from their sockets. "I was deceived and attacked! I am the victim! You can't possibly expell me-"

"You violated school rules by approaching the Whomping Willow without permission and attempted to cast an unforgivable curse on both of these gentlemen, not to mention the offensive word that you used against miss Lily Evans." Dumbledore reminded him. "You will not speak of the previous night. Am I clear?"

James didn't hide his satisfaction as Snape lowered his head and whispered; "Yes sir."