Chapter Twenty

Before Cassiane could return to her dorm, Remus grabbed her arm

Before Cassiane could return to her dorm, Remus grabbed her arm. "Care to accompany me to a walk around the castle, darling?"

"If the professors see us-"

"That's definitely not going to happen."

"Remus, you're getting irrational." She giggled.

His mouth curved into a smile as he handed her a seemingly ordinary cloak. "Am I now?"

"Without a doubt. What am I supposed to do with this?"

"Wear the cloak."

Cassiane furrowed her brows. She was unaware of whatever Remus had been planning. "Although I don't believe that it'll change anything..." She reluctantly wore it, slowly slipping her arms through the sleeves.

Remus bit his lip. "Do you like it?"

There was a mirror nearby and she decided to use it, in order to get a better look of her image. However, as she stood in front of the mirror, Cassiane realised there was nothing to be seen. "Rem? Am I ..."

"Invisible."

With a sudden movement she threw the cloak away from her and squealed. "That's impossible."

"No, not at all, Cassie. You once wondered how the boys and I managed to sneak around, move through the corridors, trick the professors without being punished. The reason behind our success is this simple piece of garment."

"Is it yours?" She questioned, instantly regretting throwing the cloak on the floor.

"James lent it to us for tonight." Remus explained, after picking it up. He carefully threw it over his and Cassiane's body, ensuring that they were completely covered. "Would you like to witness what Hogwarts looks like after midnight?"

Cassiane lifted her head to meet his eyes and beamed with delight. "Yeah, I'd love that."

They intertwined their fingers and quietly exited the common room. Not even the Fat Lady seemed to notice them, but she could have also been taking a nap. They aimlessly strolled through the corridors and made sure to stay extremely quiet in case one their professors would hear them.

The young couple actually came across Filtwick and McGonagall, who vividly discussed about their worst experiences related to students, in addition to professor Slughorn, just outside the main entrance.

Once they had arrived close to the Forbidden forest, Remus took off the cloak. "It felt slightly hot in there."

Cassiane rose her brow. "So, none of them could tell we were there?"

"Yeah! Isn't it amazing?"

"Hmm... how did this come into James' possession?"

Remus puzzlingly glanced at her. "His father gifted it to him. It is supposed to be passed down to the firstborn son of the House of Potter."

"I'm not trying to be rude or ungrateful, Rem, but can anyone actually trust James with this valuable artifact?"

"Apparently his father does."

"Right..." She rested her head on his shoulder, as Remus pulled her closer. The Forbidden Forest looked breathtakingly beautiful, yet scary and unapproachable. Cassiane hesitantly lifted her face and locked eyes with her boyfriend.

"Do I have something on my face?"

"No." She smirked playfully.  "I just can't understand why I deserve to be so happy."

"Don't say this again, Cas." He stated. "You deserve the world and I still don't know why you would settle with me-"

She shut him with a passionate kiss, before he gently phushed her away.

"What's wrong?"

"Listen, Cas, in all seriousness, I want  you to reconsider this. Normally, I wouldn't stress it so much, but due to my lycanthropy, it's very dangerous for you to be around me." Remus explained, without masking his pain.

"I will simply avoid you during the full moon, it's not that hard-"

"What about You-know-who and his servants? They're either recruiting or murdering people like me and I don't wish to put you through all of this worry and pain."

Cassiane flashed him with a smile and cupped his face. "There's nothing that could make me stay away from you, except from the full moon of course."

Remus chuckled. "Well, I tried."

"You did. Now, how about you fulfill your promise?"

"What promise?"

"You said you'd explain some things about your lycanthropy. Only if you're still willing to, though."

Remus gave her a nod and stood up to face her. "It began when I was around 4. In order to become one, you have to be bitten, during the full moon. My dad had pissed off one of the worst, Fenrir Greyback and he decided to take revenge. Instead of punishing my dad, he slipped inside my bedroom and..." His eyes closed as flashbacks from that dreadful night returned.

"It's okay, Rem. You don't need to think about it anymore." Cassiane closed him inside her arms, slowly rubbing his back and whispering comforting words.

"No, no, you should know all about it. My mom was awake at the kitchen and our screams combined woke up my dad who stormed inside just in time. Had he appeared a few seconds later, I wouldn't be standing here today. I was hospitalised for weeks and then the transformations started. The more I grew, the more painful it became. Right now, it hurts like hell but at least I don't harm myself as much as I used to."

Cassiane nodded. "Because of the boys, right?"

"Yeah. I'll never be able to repay them for going through the Animagus process. Have they discussed anything about it?"

"Not much. I've learnt about their Animagus forms and that you initially were very reluctant."

Remus sighed, picking the skin of his fingers. "They're risking their life's every month for me."

The woman knitted her brows. "Do you think I could do it too?"

"That's out of the question."

"But-"

Remus took her hand. "I'm begging you, do not get involved. Apart from the full moon, it's illegal to become an Animagus without the Ministry's permission."

"Fine. I won't do anything." She declared. For now.

A/N; Heyy! Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates and happy holidays for the rest! I hope that every single one of you js having an amazing day. I know, however, that these days can be very tough for some people, so please remember that I am here, in case you need anything.
Athanasia ❤️