Chapter Forty

Cassiane bit her tongue and held back her tears, as she stood outside of the house

Cassiane bit her tongue and held back her tears, as she stood outside of the house. It was the first important fight she had with Remus, but she couldn't forgive him for the things he had said and for his decision to walk away, immediately when things got tough.

Am I being selfish? She asked herself. She had to consider the possibility that Remus' only intention was to help the Order. However, he had admitted that he was trying to distance himself.

Cassiane knocked on the door, hoping that Malrene and her family hadn't already fallen asleep. The door opened on its own, but being too upset form the events of the night, she walked inside the house, calling her friend's name.

That was when she saw Sharon, lying on the floor, motionless. Dead. Cassiane took a deep breath and tried to think fast. She grabbed Sharon's wand and hid it in her jacket, before closing her friends eyes. The terrified look in her face, meant that she had been killed with the Killing Curse. "Oh god, oh god." If Sharon was still in the house, it probably meant that Sirius and Michelle were dead too, but she couldn't mourn for them, not now.

 She couldn't hear anything at the house, so she held her wand tightly and moved ahead.

Marlene's two brothers lied on the floor, their clothes stained with blood. She searched for a heartbeat, but Cassiane quickly accepted that the men were gone. Then, her eyes landed on three hooded figures and Marlene who was on her knees, screaming, as one of the Death Eaters casted a spell. Cassiane prepared to disarm them, but she was too late.

"Avada Kedavra!" A familiar female voice cried, putting an ending to Marlene McKinnon's life.

"NO!" Cassiane shouted at the top of her lungs, as if her words could bring her friend back. She couldn't stop staring at Marlene's lifeless, bloody body, which Bellatrix Lestrange stepped on. "You bitch-"

"What do we have here?" Bellatrix laughed, after effortesly disarming Cassiane with non-verbal magic. "You seem familiar."

She stood in silence, knowing very well that there was nothing she could to escape. No one was searching for her, or the McKinnons, so she couldn't hope that help would come either. Cassiane decided to talk to them. "We've met before, at an abandoned building you used."

"Right... The attack with the deer... Interesting. You must be friends with SIirus then, perhaps you saw his chick at the entrance."

Cassiane gulped, since she didn't want to show how upset she felt. "Sharon."

"Yeah, I don't care. I have a nice suggestion, for you. Answer a few questions, and I will kill you quickly, painlessly, just like her. Otherwise, I promise I'll make you regret the day you were born."

"I'm not going to tell you anything."

"Why don't you ask the McKinnons if you should talk- Damn, I killed them all." She reminded her with a smile. "Last chance. We can either work together, or I can have fun. On a second thought, I was never really into team work... Boys, give me a hand, I'll try something different."

Cassiane clenched her teeth as the two strangers tied her up. Bellatrix grinned and scratched her head with her wand, one of the weirdest the other woman had seen. "Let's see... I'll start with the basic. Crucio!"

The pain that Cassiane felt was so intense that she immediately screamed for mercy. She could've sworn that thousands of hot knives were piercing every inch of her body, as she desperately cried for help. "Please! Please, stop!"

A few moments later, Bellatrix sighed and stopped the spell. "Where's Sirius Black?"

She breathed in and out, relieved that the pain had stopped, even temporarily. "I have no clue."

The other Death Eaters laughed, as Bellatrix gave her a fake disappointed look. "Don't make me repeat myself... what's your name again?"

"Cassiane Evans." She replied proudly. The Death Eater smiled widly. "I killed a few Evans, I think... Anyways, Cassiane, can you answer my question?"

"I'd rather die."

"Well, that's not going to be a problem."

The torture went on for over an hour, although the Death Eaters would occasionally give her a break, to ensure that she would be responsive. They wouldn't even allow her to close her eyes, keeping her awake and aware.

"I'm not going to lose my whole day here. Bring me my knife. I'm going to kill this bitch and I will enjoy it. You're going to feel everything, Evans. Every single cut."

Cassiane didn't want to waste her energy on a comeback. There was no point, after all. The Death Eaters untied her, thinking that she was too weak to try anything. They dragged her to the middle of the living room and threw her down like a bag. This time a real knife pierced her skin, making Cassiane scream loudly as her blood stained the carpet.

"Where are your headquarters?" Bellatrix yelled at her, while stabbing her again and again. "Speak up, or you'll die all alone, soaked in your own blood."

Cassiane forced herself to smile, proving to the woman that she wasn't scared. "I'm only sorry that I didn't manage to kill you all."

However, her smile quickly faded as one of the men appeared in front of her, tightly holding Michelle's arm.

Bellatrix didn't fail to notice how terrified Cassiane was as she saw the little girl and decided to take advantage of her fear. "Who is this young lady?"

The girl stung her tongue out, strongly resembling her father. "You did this to my mum and Marlene."

She chuckled, barely glancing at Sharon's body before focusing back at the girl. She grabbed Michelle and forced her to watch Cassiane. "If you don't talk, the girl dies."

"You wouldn't do that-" Cassiane tried to say, but Bellatrix pressed the knife against Michelle's face.

Betraying the Order wasn't an option. However, Michelle had to be saved at all costs. Cassiane was supposed to be her guardian after all. She was supposed to take care of the girl, if anything happened to Sharon or Sirius.

She moved a little and felt the wand she had taken from Sharon. It was the only chance to protect the child. Without hesitation, she used all of her power to stand up and pushed Bellatrix away from Michelle. Then, she wrapped her arms around the girl and tried to apparate, although she knew it would be difficult, with a different person's wand.

One of the Death Eaters pointed at her with his wand and yelled; "Sectumsebra!", just as she apparated back to her house.

A/N; Heyy...
To honour Sharon's memory, I'd like to ler you know that although she never studied in Hogwarts, (American wizards went to another school called Ilvermony), she would have been placed in Hufflepuff!
Thanks for reading, please don't forget to comment and vote.
Athanasia ❤️