[Chapter 53]

Payton's POV

3 months later:

I've been avoiding Luke like the plague ever since Harry and I made an agreement. Although Luke wasn't like my best friends and wasn't constantly texting me every day, he still sent me a message once a month, asking if we could meet up for dinner.

I managed to come up with excuses every time, saying I was packed with tests or that I already made plans with my girls. Luckily he wasn't forceful, but I felt extremely guilty for turning him down. I felt like I was doing something completely wrong every time I did it.

But I wanted to keep my word. Not only did I feel happy being away from the gang lifestyle, I felt relieved knowing I wasn't going to be bothered by Harry anymore. I couldn't afford thinking about him or missing him like crazy.

I wasn't going to do that to myself. I was firm on my decision to cut him from my life. If I allowed any inch of my heart to stay attached to him, I would be doomed. I just couldn't be with someone like him or risk my entire life for him. I appreciated Harry towards the end, but that's where it needed to stop. Since I was no longer under Harry's control, there wasn't a reason to be with him. And just because we were acquaintances doesn't mean I owe him my friendship. It's time we officially part ways.

"Do you have a secret boyfriend or something?" Claire asked as she bumped my shoulder with hers, capturing my attention as I quickly looked away from my phone.

I exhaled as I glanced up at her, giving her a smile as she raised her eyebrows at me. "Oh my gosh no. You crazy? You know I'm not looking for a relationship right now." I denied as I shoved my phone in my back pocket, ignoring the current message I just received from Luke.

"How come? You're so beautiful and smart and funny! Any guy would be soooo lucky to have you!" Claire cheered as I blushed.

"I'm just too busy and I'm honestly happy being single. Plus, they'd drive me away from you girls and I can't afford that." I replied as she giggled.

"Yeah, I can't lose you again." She said before she threw her arm over my shoulder.

We both giggled together as we walked through campus, on our way to our next class.

As soon as I looked off to the right where the road was, I saw a black SUV parked by the curb. My eyes widened as I immediately recognized it, feeling nervous butterflies shoot through my stomach. I started to feel sick to my stomach, wondering what they were doing here without my consent.

"Hey, I just realized I forgot something important in my dorm. I'll meet you after class yeah?" I lied as Claire pulled her arm off my shoulders.

"Alright! See you soon." She smiled before we parted ways.

I waited behind a wall as I secretly watched her walk away until I knew the close was clear. I then let out a deep sigh before I looked back over at the SUV. Gosh what now?

I then swallowed tightly before I began making my way over to the road. I looked both ways before I crossed, slowly approaching the vehicle as my heart raced.

Suddenly the door opened to the back, signaling for me to come inside. I hesitated at first before I climbed in, ignoring my gut that was telling me not to.

I then closed the door behind me before I looked up, noticing Luke was already staring at me with a smile.

"Hey beautiful. I'm sorry we showed up unannounced, I was just getting kind of worried there since you weren't answering my texts." Luke said as I gulped before I placed my hands on my lap.