[Chapter 34]

Payton's POV

"You don't see anything in my eyes." Harry shook his head before he quickly looked through the window, avoiding eye contact.

"But I do." I whispered as I raised my hand and grabbed his chin, slowly turning it so that he could look at me.

He flinched before he gripped my wrist tightly, clenching his jaw as he peered down at me angrily. My heart skipped a beat at his quick actions before I calmed myself down and looked deeper into his eyes.

"Then what do you see? Huh?" He hissed quietly as I didn't cower back.

"I see pain." I responded as I uncurled my fingers and gracefully caressed his skin.

His eyes softened for a second before he quickly went back to normal and tightened his grip around my wrist. "No you don't. I'm not in pain." He scoffed before I shook my head.

"Yes, you are Harry." I said as he deepened his eyebrows and exhaled.

"And that's okay.... we're all in pain. You're not any different from us." I whispered before I lifted up my free hand and tried to hold his side.

He didn't allow me to as he quickly grabbed my other wrist, holding it up next to mine and squeezing it.

"You don't know what you're talking about." He hissed, trying to act tough.

"Harry... it's okay... you can stop pretending. You can let your guard down. If I'm going to be here for you, let me be here to listen. Let me be here to heal." I assured as his eyes began to soften all over again.

I then saw the same pained look in his eyes as when he told me about his mom. I knew there was something hurting deep inside him, and I wanted to know what it was. Although he was a complete jerk to me, there was nothing else I could do while I was here. Mine as well try my best to be kind to him so that he could let me in. All he ever does is shut me out. I need answers to understand my true purpose of being under his control. There's something more than just being a hostage.

If escaping was almost impossible while being here, I needed to spend my time doing something useful or helpful. Even if it meant reaching out to my captor.

"You're crazy. You don't know what you're talking about." He said as he shook his head before he threw my wrists down and walked away.

"Harry... please, let me in. Just talk to me." I begged as I followed him.

"Why?! Huh? Why do you want to know about me?! You don't even care! You said it yourself you hate me just like I hate you! We don't care for each other so just piss off!" He yelled as he faced me.

"That's not even true and you know it!" I raised my voice as tears filled in my eyes.

"You're pathetic." He hissed before he turned around and stormed away.

"Why do you keep me here then if you hate me so much huh?! There's a reason you kept me! And you won't tell me because you're scared! You're scared of opening up!" I yelled as I followed behind.

"Shut up!" He yelled before he went towards a cabinet and opened it, revealing a stack full of alcohol.

"No! Tell me why I'm here and why you haven't killed me!" I screamed before he grabbed a bottle quickly and turned around to face me.

"I'll kill you right now!" He threatened.

"Then do it! Just do it already so that you can go back to your horrible life and stop complaining! You can have everything you want and be free and not have to worry about me dragging you down!" I snapped.