[Chapter 56]

Payton's POV

Harry ran his hand through his hair before he exhaled and looked out where the sparkling mountains where. He shifted himself awkwardly before he rested the back of his other hand on his thigh, holding onto his slice of pizza.

I looked at him intently, preparing myself for the answer I've been waiting for since the moment Harry spared my life. The fact that I was finally going to hear it now just made my heart speed up nervously.

"I'm not sure where to start... it's kind of hard to even explain it to myself.... but you do deserve to know... so.... I'll tell you...." Harry said slowly as he narrowed his eyebrows slightly.

"I'm all ears." I said softly before he nervously gulped.

"So, as you know, I'm not the biggest fan of the female species... especially after what I went through, nor am I of my own kind, so I honestly didn't pay mind to anyone but myself and who I worked with. My only real friends were Louis, Liam, Niall, and Zayn. Everyone else was just a business partner." Harry started as I watched him.

"So, the day you saw me, was the day I was taking care of business. My job was to assassinate a man due to an error he caused. I know I made the mistake doing it somewhere sort of public, but that's where I found him. So I was just going to do it quick and get out of there. But.... when I heard your voice and looked up at you, I was full of shock. Usually if I have a witness I just instantly get rid of them because it's easier for me. But, I've never ran into someone so young before." Harry spoke as he looked down at his shoes.

"But, being a cold hearted criminal, not even a young pretty girl was going to stop me from killing them. A witness is a risk that we can't ever take. It's either kill or hold hostage. Now, I am a very busy man so I knew I didn't have time to keep you and watch over you, but something about your appearance just stirred something in me. Something I can't explain. After I followed you to your campus I realized you were just a college student and you obviously meant no harm. And just as I was on my way to kill you in your sleep, I began to think more about you because I couldn't stop wondering why you were so different from everyone else I've ever met." He explained as my eyes grew wide. He was going to kill me?

"Payton, if anyone saw what you saw, they would of ran instantly or called the police, or.... probably not have even bothered to help the guy. But you, you were different because you were willing to risk your own life trying to save that man even if you knew you were too late. The fact that you told me to stop and you stepped in so bravely just proved how much you care about others verses yourself. I realized right then and there that you were someone different. You were a caring person. And I guess, I couldn't bring myself to kill you because your spirit reminded me of my mother." He added on as my heart began pounding.

"She would always stand up to cruel men back when she was alive, whether if it meant her getting hurt in the end or not. She wasn't afraid to save a life. And being a criminal, you don't see many people stepping in to rescue anybody. So, seeing you, being so young, and so fearless, just.... I don't know... it.... softened me up enough to spare you." Harry sighed as he looked forward.

"And, how did you feel once you had me?" I asked.

"You were a pain in my ass, that's for sure." He said before I giggled, causing him to smirk.

"But.... I guess I had a slight thing for you the whole time." He admitted as my eyes grew wide.

"Really?" I gasped as he smiled slightly while looking down.

"I tried to deny it as more days passed on. But the more I had you around, the easier it was to like you." He replied as my heart raced against my chest.