Something Old, Something New

"WE NEED TO LEAVE LIKE... RIGHT NOW," Alia yells as she straightens her last strand of hair. "Dude, you are not even ready yourself. Chill," Nicole sasses back. I ignored their back and forth, and continued to apply my Fenty highlighter on my cheekbones; Rihanna did not come to play with her makeup line. I was still in my home clothes because I did not want to risk getting makeup on my dress. I had done my face and eye makeup, and then also curled my hair into soft waves once I wore my outfit. 

"Make sure everyone grabs their jacket, there could be a chill breeze on the roof," Nicole reminds all of us. I walk in front of my mirror and take a look at myself. I was wearing a long-sleeved, v neck, black sequin dress. The bottom had a diagonal cut. As I adjust the dress on my body, Alia whistles from behind me. "You look FIRE," she squeals. Then she goes over to the vanity and grabs something from my drawer. Alia hands me a red NYX liquid lipstick. "Red lip with this look is a must."

I carefully apply the lipstick and use a q-tip to wipe off any smudges. I also toss the lipstick into my bag along with more q-tips. Nicole put on a silver sleeveless dress, and Alia wore a rose gold, sparkly romper. My girls were looking like goddesses. I grab my tan coat from my closet and inform the girls it was time to go. Miles had just dropped off Karan at my house, and he was going to come with Jacob and Nia later in the night. There was no way I was driving into the city, so I decide to give Karan my keys.

"Is that Miss Kapoor?" Karan asks, pretending to take off his glasses. I give him a hug and hand him my keys. "You look beautiful, all of you do," he says as the girls follow behind me. "You look pretty damn good yourself," I reply. He was wearing a patterned blazer with a white shirt underneath and black skinny jeans. I put on my heels, but also take a pair of flats with me. In a few minutes, we're on our way to the city.

(Song Recommendation: Greenlight by Pitbull and Flo Rida)

I smile as my eyes meet the New York city skyline. We have the music blasting in the car and it's good vibes everywhere. Karan drops us off at the entrance as he goes to park in the garage. We make our way up to the rooftop. It's pretty big but also sectioned off. There are couches in every corner of the roof. There's a DJ booth all the way in the front. Drinks are being serviced on the right side, and there are a few food options going around. The front is more of a party scene whereas the back is more of an intimate area. Although there were a lot of people, it didn't feel overcrowded. Nicole, Alia, and I grab a drink each and claimed one of the corners of this roof. We make ourselves comfortable on the U-shaped sofa. 

We start dancing in our seats. Karan makes his way over to us and grabs a drink from one of the waiters. "This view is.." his voice trails off. "I know right?" Nicole quickly adds. "Let's just leave our stuff here, and go to the dance floor," he says, sitting down. "I'm good with that," Alia raises her drink in the air. We make our way to the dance floor and start grooving to the music. I try to let loose but also be mindful of people's space. I don't wanna step on someone's foot with my heels. I scan the room and spot so many attractive guys. I lock eyes with one who was standing right next to the dance floor. I politely smile at him and continue dancing with Nicole. 

Karan found some of his boys so he was chilling with them in the corner. Alia taps my shoulder and comes up to my ear. "I think people from school are here," she says pointing to a group of girls on the other side of the roof. I did recognize a few of them. "Yeah, you're right," I tell her. I look around us again. I saw more people that I knew of. I pull the girls away from the dance floor. "There are actually a lot of people from Uni." Nicole nods. "Yeah, they probably saw the same Facebook event," Alia says. I raise my eyebrow. "Can you pull up the event again?" I ask her. She hands me her phone. I sigh. "Alia, this is an event hosted by one of the sororities on campus. One of their dads owns this lounge I think." Nicole gives Alia a stare. "What? It's still a pretty cool place," she defends herself. I walk closer to the corner. "But why would we want to spend our New Year's Eve with a bunch of sloppy people from college? Isn't winter break for getting away from them?" I question her. "Okay, but now we're here. We are together. Let's enjoy regardless," she suggests. I take a deep breath and take a sip of my drink. "You are right, let's just... Have fun."