3 Day Weekend

"After you're done with this, you can feel free to start the three-day weekend early," my manager smiles at me. I was almost done trimming the interview clips that are part of the company's latest project. Although my job just started to get interesting, I was looking forward to going home early. My flight to Indiana leaves later at night, and I'll get there tomorrow at 1 AM. Unfortunately, I was unable to convince any of my friends to come with me, so I'll be traveling alone. Since I haven't told my parents about my relationship yet, I just said the company is having a conference there. At least I have the decent photoshop skills to make that seem true.

Karan kindly offered to drop me off at LaGuardia, rather than me getting an uber. I was budgeting hardcore the past two weeks so I could afford this trip on my own. I packed one small carry-on, and a small backpack to accompany me on this three-day journey. I wasn't sure what I'd want to wear or how the weather there would suit me, so I packed multiple options. Once I got past security and all the other formalities, I felt at ease once I took a seat in my terminal lounge. I was getting a lot of anxiety prior to getting here, but thinking that I'll be with Drew in a few hours helped me feel comfortable. Last night I downloaded a bunch of music and podcasts on my Spotify app. I always carry a book with me when I'm traveling, just in case I need an extra form of entertainment.

I was thinking of booking an Air BnB while I stayed in town, but Drew's dad insisted I stay at the house. With most of his siblings away, the basement had become Drew's own apartment. The three-hour flight wasn't too bad except the pilot's landing was a little rough. I turned on my cellular data the second the plane touched the ground. I got blasted with texts from Drew telling me he would be waiting for me by the arrivals gate. I go to the bathroom and freshen up before I head to the gate. I took off the hoodie I was wearing on the flight and kept on the shirt underneath. After combing the knots out of my hair and spraying perfume on my neck and wrist, I head out.

I immediately spot Drew because, of course, he was the tallest person here. He was holding a white sheet of paper with my name on it, and a red rose. Oh no, I've already started blushing. I semi-run and jump into his arms. "You're here," he softly says in my ear. We pull apart and I stare at him smiling. "I missed you, bub." Drew holds my hand in his right hand and wheels my carry-on in the other. His car was double-parked in front of the entrance. There weren't that many cars here unlike New York airports. The whole ride to his house, I kept looking at him like he wasn't real or something. It just felt so weird to be seeing him after so long. But a good kind of weird. I take a Snapchat of him driving and save it to my camera roll. I'm gonna record small clips during my stay here and make a cute video when I go back.

When we went to his house, I directly hopped into the shower downstairs because I just wanted to get into bed and cuddle with Drew. I wasn't too hungry so I only had a little bit of cereal. "You sure you'll be just fine with that?" Drew asks pointing to my bowl. I nod my head. I just needed something to keep me good till I fell asleep. After finishing my bowl, I head into his room that's across the living area. Drew was tidying up the bed and taking out extra blankets from the bed drawers. He looks at me and smiles. And suddenly I see lights flash above the bed's headboard. "Fairy lights!" I exclaim. They were exactly like the ones I had up in my apartment. "Thought it'd bring a homey touch to the place," he leans over me on the bed and kisses me. I boop his nose. "You're so cute."

The next morning I woke up wrapped in his arms, and honestly, I didn't ever want to leave. But I know we had to get ready for the day and his dad is making breakfast for us this morning. I take a shower but stay in my night suit. "Hello Kristina, so lovely to see you!" Mr. Davis gives me a wholesome hug. "You too!" I look down at the table to see a variety of options. Eggs, waffles, potatoes, fruit, and toast. "You didn't have to do all this," I thank him. The food did look so good. The three of us sat down together and had a really good conversation. It was quite refreshing and I felt good that Drew's dad genuinely seemed to like me.