33 | Her Boyfriend

Her Boyfriend

"OUCH!" I shouted closing my eyes at the pain, "be careful, Styles!" I scolded him rubbing my knee.

"I'm sorry, mate. I'm new at this," he laughed as he helped me accommodate me in my wheelchair. "You're nervous, aren't you?"

"Bloody nervous. I'm not only meeting Eleanor's family but also meeting them at her father's funeral. How many people do this happen to?"

"Relax, Louis. It's hard, but remember you're doing this for Eleanor. She'll need you a lot today."

"I know, I know. Do I look good, isn't this too much?" I asked him checking my tie for like the tenth time.

"Every man looks good on a black suit." He rolled his eyes.

"Says the man who is wearing tight black jeans, an almost unbuttoned black shirt and a bandana on his head. What are you, a rock star?"

"I'm a football player who looks like a rock star, don't envy me, bro," he laughed loudly. "And don't worry, I'm sure Eleanor will approve your outfit." He mocked me a little more.

"I hope so. And talking about her, thanks for coming with us."

Harry had agreed to accompany Eleanor and me to the funeral. Actually, he would only give us a ride and wait for us in the car in the parking lot in case Eleanor suddenly wanted to leave. Besides helping me with my wheelchair of course. It was an important day for Eleanor but also for me, it was my first time out of the hospital in months... and I was going to a funeral.

"Don't even mention it, Lou. That's what friends are for." He patted my shoulder and turned to Eleanor's empty bed. "Where is she, by the way?"

"With Nancy, our nurse, she's helping her getting ready. Makeup and that stuff, I guess." I shrugged.

"Your girlfriend is a strong woman, isn't she?"

"The strongest." I smiled at her empty bed too but right then the door opened and we both turned to see Eleanor and Nancy walking in.

"And remember, El, if you start to feel bad, you come back to the hospital immediately, okay?"

"Believe me, I will." El nodded and automatically turned to me.

"You look beautiful, love." I told her as it was the first thing that crossed my mind. She was wearing a black dress and had her hair lose and very little makeup, and although we were going to a funeral, she looked like a model.

"Thanks," she whispered coming to my side. "Hi, Harry."

"Hi, sister." Harry walked to her and offered her a hug, "I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm willing to help with whatever you need."

"Thank you, really. You're already doing a lot for me." she looked down and Nancy and I exchanged an awkward glance.

"Ok, we should get going then," Harry mentioned noticing the atmosphere. "Are you ready?"

"I doubt I could ever be ready for this," El answered shaking her head. It broke my heart seeing her so sad.

"Babe, remember you can always change your mind, okay?" I assured her taking her hand.

"No. I want to go. I just – I just can't believe it's my father..."

There was another awkward silence because obviously nobody knew what to say. We had talked about it, but none of us could imagine what she was suffering. She was going to say goodbye to the man who had abandoned her in her worst moment. A part of me was quite angry with him, but I reminded myself this was all about my girl, not about her family.