21 | Scared

"SCARED"

I had spent an awful night, for sure one of the worst nights in my entire time in the hospital. The only thing in my mind was Dr. Smith, his smile and the way he had looked at Eleanor.

I was annoyed and furious and all I wanted was him to get away from me and El.

"Nancy, I can't believe it!" I was whispering so I would not wake Eleanor up.

"SHHH. Honey, I'm sure it was a misunderstanding, there is nothing to worry about, Louis."

"I didn't imagine it, Nancy. You heard the guy too!"

"You'll wake her up! Please, be quiet!" she whispered accommodating my pillows. "Louis, listen to me. Dr. Smith is a good man and a professional-"

"But-"

"But nothing. He won't do anything inappropriate with a patient. Trust me, please."

I sighed in defeat and laid back in my bed, frowning at the mere idea of that damn doctor back in my room just to meet Eleanor. Nancy kept assuring me that I should not worry, but her face said something different.

"Eleanor is still asleep but she seems to be fine. I'll go now, okay? You don't have sessions today, so enjoy the day." She waved me good bye.

"Nancy, wait. Did she eat anything yesterday while I was on my session?"

She pouted her lips and looked down before she left the room. She was still worried and now I was not only worried about Dr. Smith, but also about Eleanor's health.

I had to find the way to help her, to convince her that she should follow the doctors' instructions or she would never recover and... I may even lose her. I shook my head and ran my hand trough my hair. I could not allow myself to think about that. I would die before losing Eleanor.

"Louis?" the lovely voice in the other bed called me. She slowly turned her body to face me and blinked a few times until she found my face.

"Hey, good morning. Did I wake you?"

"No, don't worry." She told me smiling.

"I was just talking to Nancy. She just left with your dinner from last night untouched." I said emphasizing the word untouched and using a rather serious tone.

I knew my words would catch her attention, at least that was my intention, but her reaction was a lot bigger than I had expected. She frowned, her eyes were full of tears and her hands were shaking, causing the machines' cables to hit the edge of her bed making a soft noise.

"El, don't feel bad. I just want to-"

"Help me. I know, Lou."

Sadness was all over her and it was clear in her face that she did not want to have that conversation. I felt horrible, even guilty, but I was sure I had to do something to help her. And the first step was talking, so she would realize she needed to change some of her attitudes.

"Yes, El. But I need you to understand that I cannot help you unless you let me, unless you help yourself."