2 | Broken

Chapter II

"Broken"

           It was all white when I opened my eyes. I felt my arms pressed to my side, pretty stiff. My head was burning, my hands were freezing. It was like if my body was broken or something like that. Suddenly, the bright light was removed from my eyes. It took me a moment to clear my view and to focus. Then I noticed that I could not move my head to see what was happening.

"Sir, can you tell us your name?" a voice echoed in my ear. I was really disturbed, even scared I guess.

        I did my best but no words were pronounced. My lips were hurt, bleeding. I made a painful gesture and the light reappeared over my sight. It was a lantern.

"I'm doctor Frederickson. We are in the way to the hospital," he explained still checking me. Obviously I panicked. My mind could not remember anything clearly, just... the red light.

"We're almost there," a female voice said from my other side. I could barely see her face; she was a middle aged lady. Once she said that, I paid attention to the sounds. I was on an ambulance.

         In a few seconds, I felt my body lifted in the air and moved to some sort of... bed? With a loud noise, the vehicle back doors opened and a breeze entered the small cabinet where I was. Many doctors were there. They all helped Mr. Frederickson to get me out of the ambulance. It was still dark, still night obviously. I could hear them talking about my condition. My pulse, how much blood I'd lost and many other things I preferred not to hear.

          When we got to the room where I was going to be checked, the first difficulty appeared. I was handled like a toy, moved from here to there by four doctors. While one of them was removing the blood from my face, he noticed I wanted to talk but couldn't do so because of my parted lower lip. I tried to touch it, but I failed. My arm was almost broken and I was not able to move it, but I certainly could feel pain. It was horrible.

          Tears ran down my face due to the ache. It was an awful sensation. I was in pain and completely alone in a damn hospital. My headache, however, was increasing as minutes went by; but apparently somebody had some mercy and injected some kind of sedate to ease my pain and, most likely, to put me to sleep for a while. I was lying there while my mind disconnected from my body and my eyes closed.

          I never knew if it was after hours, days or even weeks, but when I woke up, I was in a hospital bed in a  room for two. The lights were off, just the moonlight coming through the window.

         Slowly, I moved my head and, to my surprise, my parents were sitting in a corner of the room. My mom was sleeping but my dad was awake with his eyes lost in my mom's face. Always the same with them. I coughed to catch his attention. He came almost running to my side.

"Louis," he said in a whisper, "how do you feel son?" he asked me with his hand in the air, like if he didn't know where to touch me.

"Lou?" My mother's voice asked. She got up and came by my side, holding my father's hand.

"Hi," I managed to say. My voice sounded weird, but luckily I could utter words now.

"Oh my Gosh," my mom said smiling to the ceiling, probably thanking God in private.

"What ha- happened?" I asked them looking at my arm. It was in a cast but it didn't hurt as much as before.

          They looked at each other, trying to figure out what to say.

"I know my arm is broken... I can see it." I said moving my free hand to see if it was fine. It was.

"Dear, you had a terrible accident last night. You've been in the hospital sedated for two days now," my dad explained with a weak voice.

"I don't remember anything, just myself driving," I stopped for a second trying to remember but it made my head hurt; something my mom noticed.

"No, Lou. You need to rest now. Don't waste energy."

         Another awkward silence happened after I was told the details of the accident. My parents didn't let me talk for me not to agitate or something. But I had to ask the most important question yet...

"When am I living? When can I go back home?"

         My mother started crying and my dad fixed his gaze on the soft light coming from my bedside table lamp. There was something else I was not aware of, and it was obviously not good news.

"Lou..." my mother said really slowly approaching my bed, touching my knee.

          But I couldn't feel her touch. I couldn't feel my legs. 

**************************************

So, comment! 

Agus xx