26 | Recovery

Recovery

2 months later

"C'mon, take my hand, Lou."

"No, let me try first, please."

"Fine, but I'll stay here in case-"

"I won't fall down again, babe."

We both laughed at the memory of my last fall less than a week before. Anyone in my situation would have felt bad, but not me. Falling means you are trying, right?

The last three weeks I had progressed so much that my doctors were really surprised, but they were not the only ones. My entire family and my girlfriend – yes, we called each other boyfriend and girlfriend already – could not believe it either.

I was able to move my legs and my feet slightly, so I was still very far from recovering the strength to stand up on my own. But I did not care at all. Nothing could ruin the happiness I was feeling and my hopes of getting to walk again someday.

But I was not the only feeling better. Eleanor had started an intense treatment along with a strict control from a nutritionist and a psychologist. Of course she was terrified at first, but after her first session with Dr. Brown, her psychologist, she was able to see things differently. Eleanor felt much more confident and stronger now, so the annoying machines around her bed were finally gone and she was allowed to move around the hospital as she liked.

Obviously the best part about that was the she spent almost the entire day sited in my bed. We were together most of the time, except for our appointments with our special doctors, but sometimes even then she came with me to Dr. Smith's office, though I admit it still felt a bit weird.

However, things were getting better for us and I was really anxious about our lives after the hospital, but trying not to press Eleanor, I kept those thoughts to myself.

"Here I go," I told Eleanor grabbing the edge of my bed and doing my best to stand up.

"Be careful, honey." She told me extending her hand in front of me in case I weakened, which I did so I took it.

She smiled at my attempt and then helped me move to my wheelchair. She was definitely stronger now if she could lift my body.

"I bet I'll be able to do it in a few weeks," I said pushing my chair towards the door.

"I'm sure you will, Lou." She assured me placing her hand on my shoulder to let me know she was walking behind me.

-

We got to the hospital's inner garden a little later and once outside Eleanor offered to push my chair as the floor under us became grass, what made it more complicated for my chair.

"It seems someone occupied our bench," she told me frowning but immediately heading for the trees.

"Where are we going?"

"I feel like sitting under the trees. You don't?"

"I'm in my chair, love. I'll remain where you let me," I mocked her, making her giggle.

When we approached the tree she wanted I realized we were quite away from other patients and doctors, so I did not complain about her choice.

"Now, take my hands," she ordered me and I quickly obeyed, trying to guess her intentions. "You're sitting on the grass with me."

"What? El, don't. You won't be able to lift me after-"

"I'll ask for help. C'mon Tomlinson," she teased me with a smirk, knowing I would give up sooner or later.

This time it took a big effort from her to lift my body and gently help me to sit down on the floor, my back resting against the tree trunk. She sat next to me, her head resting on my chest and her legs touching mine. No doubt it was the most amazing feeling ever.

We were silent for a while, just our breathing making little noise as we stared at nothing in particular.

"Hey," she whispered slightly turning her head to me, "your birthday is in less than two weeks."

"Yeah, so?"

"What do you mean so?" she was louder this time. "We have to celebrate it!"

I could not help it but laugh at her words. "A birthday party at the hospital, really?"

"You don't think I can arrange something for my man?" she asked me raising an eyebrow.

"I believe you can do anything," I murmured, kissing the top of her head as I intertwined my hand with hers.

She did not answer right away, just looked at our hands with a smile.

"You have a lot of faith in me," she murmured now. "Why?"

"El, look at us. I've recovered my reflexes, my sensitivity and I can actually move my legs again a bit, and I owe it mostly to you, baby."

"Oh, shut up! You've done it all yourself, Lou. I was just there to support you."

"Yes, you were there. But I made a promise a long time ago. I would heal for both of us, to have a life outside this place, and to take care of you for as long as you let me."

"For as long as I let you?" she lifted her head so her nose was brushing my chin. "Good, because I want you with me forever."

"Forever it is then." I lowered my head to kiss her. "I love you, El." I said without breaking our kiss.

"I love you, Lou." She said back caressing my cheek. "And since we are talking about the future, I need to tell you something."

She sat straight and faced me without letting my hand go. I could tell she was getting nervous but I knew it was not bad news or she would have told me right away.

"I listen."

She took a deep breath before speaking. "Dr. Frederickson told me that if my coming analysis come out well, then I'll be able to leave the hospital in a couple of weeks and continue my treatment by coming here just once or twice a week. Isn't that great?!"

I had been wrong after all. What was excellent news for my girlfriend was devastating news to me. Her recovery was not only letting her get her old life back, but was also taking her away from me.

I guess I would have to push my chair on my own from now on. 

********************************************

There are only a few chapters left for this story to end and I'm so emotional because I really love it. What do you think will happen? What do you expect? 

Please vote and comment!

Agus