31 | Phone Call

PHONE CALL

"Louis?" Eleanor called me with her eyes closed so I assumed she was half asleep but still I panicked and turned to Nancy for help.

She noticed my desperation and gestured me to keep quiet and once I nodded, she headed for the door, having a last look at El and I before she left our room with teary eyes.

"Go back to sleep, love," I murmured in my girlfriend' ear as I kissed the top of her head.

A few seconds later she was asleep again, snoring slightly against my chest and holding my hand. She looked so beautiful and at peace that it warmed my heart, but then a horrible sensation ran through my spine because just like when we first met, I couldn't stop seeing her so fragile.

-

What were only a couple of hours felt like weeks that night to me. I held Eleanor in my arms as close to me possible, squeezing her hand tenderly yet as strong as never before. There was a growing feeling of fear invading me and the room and all I wanted was answers. What else could happen to us, to Eleanor? Hasn't she suffered enough during her whole life and in that damn hospital?

I hadn't felt such a big necessity to stand up before. I wanted to run out of the room and look for a doctor or a nurse to know what has happened but obviously that was not an option. So, defeated because of my condition, I tried to sleep but I couldn't even close my eyes. Whenever I began to think, the most horrid thoughts crossed my mind, making me shiver so I gave up and used my time to do the best I could, hug Eleanor and murmur everything was going to be okay.

At least in her dreams she was still safe.

-

"Louis! Look at your eyes!" Those were Eleanor's first words as soon as she woke up next morning. She ran her thumb under my eyes very carefully and I guessed I had dark circles due to being awake all night. "Did you get to sleep, babe?"

"Uh, yeah." I lied. "I guess I just need to sleep some more," I smiled trying to fool her and I don't know if I did, but at least she smiled back to me. "I'm going to call Nancy, I need to go to the bathroom."

"Ok," El told me kissing my cheek and getting up from my bed. "I'll go to the bathroom too and then to get us some breakfast. Do you want the usual?"

"Sure, thanks."

"I'll be back in a minute," she waved me goodbye and disappeared leaving the door half open.

I wasted no time and pressed the button to call the nurse like ten times in a minute because it was a real emergency and I needed answers. To my relief, Nancy entered the room and literally ran to my side, looking at every corner to make sure El was not there.

"She's not here," I explained and she sighed but it was evident she hadn't relaxed at all.

"Louis, listen," she sat down at the edge of my bed and her lower lip began to tremble, "I'm going to be quick because the doctors and I still don't know how to tell Eleanor."

How to tell Eleanor.

Her words struck me and now I was the one trembling from head to toes, including my recently awoken legs. If something had happened to Eleanor it was obviously going to affect me, my health and my feelings. And I was in a limbo between crying and cursing, knowing whatever news Nancy had, they were not good at all.

"What is it?" I asked her trying to leave my fear aside.

Nancy took a long and deep breath and turned her head so I could look at her in the eyes. "Yesterday, when you and El were with your family and those noisy boys, we got a call."