7 | Torture

CHAPTER VII

"Torture"

As it could not be otherwise, my luck did not change much. As soon as Eleanor told me her name, I introduced myself but two seconds later, she had fallen asleep. So, basically, all what we exchanged was our names.

At first, I thought she had fainted, but fortunately the nurse entered the room and explained to me that she had to be exhausted because of her treatment. I suppose she noticed the nervousness on my face.

"So, she will wake up soon?"

"Of course, son. Why you ask?" She asked me with a curious look.

"It's nothing," I lied. I was not able to explain why I was so concerned with that girl.

Nancy just cleaned some random stuff of the room, checked Eleanor's condition and left. I only remember that I wanted so bad to get up and check her closer that it made me remember my own condition. I was in that damn bed incapable to move.

"Oh, Lou," Nancy's head called me from the semi open door. "Your mother is outside. I thought you should now."

And then I realized that the last time I saw her, I'd made a terrible scene. Obviously she was staying away from me; maybe she was even scared of me.

I considered whether to call her or not, whether to apologize or remain as the ridiculous son I had become.

"Mom!" I shouted, afraid of waking Eleanor up. I heard footsteps coming to the door and I saw my mother's shadow hesitating outside the room. At last she came in.

"Louis, hi. How are-" she stopped talking as soon as she saw me better.

"What?" I asked impatient.

"Nothing, babe," she sat down uneasy in a chair next to my bed. "How do you feel?"

"Well, the same as yesterday, and the day before..." I pointed at my legs gesturing with my face.

"I see. I'm sorry we didn't come yesterday, we didn't know if you-"

"No, mom. I'm sorry. I was a completely fool. I don't know what happened to me."

We talked for a while until she went for a cup of coffee for her. I never knew for how long she'd been taking care of me in a chair in the hallway.

"Your mother is... loud," a weak voice spoke from the other bed.

"Oh, sorry." I looked at El trying to sitting down straight, something which caused her to agitate. Her chest rose with every breath she took.

"It's okay. I should not sleep much anyway."

In a rush, the door opened and my mother ran towards the end of my bed followed by two doctors. It was obvious they were there to take me somewhere else. I tensed.

"Louis, Eleanor, how are you?"

"Fine," I replied looking at her.

"Hello," she said, avoiding the question.

For the first time my mother saw Eleanor. Perhaps she hadn't even noticed her with all her attention on me. And since my mom could not avoid it, she inhaled and put her hands on her mouth when she saw all the machines around El. The doctors looked each other, I searched for Eleanor's eyes but she was looking down, maybe trying to hide her pain or embarrassment.

I hated my mom that instant; even though it sounds terrible.

"Mrs. Tomlinson," Dr. Frederickson took my mom's arm and brought her closer to me, leaving El aside. "Why don't you tell Louis the news?"

"Oh yes! Louis, guess what!"

I tensed again. My mother was a very good woman, but her personality or the way she said things was definitely not the best.

"What?" I asked a bit afraid of knowing the answer.

"Your treatment starts today, honey!"

The doctors and my mother looked at me with smiles on their faces; I looked at Eleanor and the machines which seemed to be extensions of her body.

"Lou, aren't you happy, son?!" Because of my lack of answer, my mother went on talking. "Oh, c'mon! How bad can a treatment be?"

And I saw the exact moment in which a tear fell down Eleanor's face. Now, something that should help me healing was just a reminder of her pain. It was a torture for both of us.

***********************************************

Thank you so much for all the support in this novel! Can you camke it to 20 comments for the next chapter? I know you can! 

Personal question, what do you like the most about this story? 

Love, Agus xx