14 | List of People

CHAPTER 14

"List of People"

I panicked. The girl I'd seen the last months trying to recover her health was now fainted over my chest. I tried to take her in my arms but not being able to move half of my body was an impediment to help her.

I took Eleanor by the waist, pressing her body against mine so she wouldn't fall of the bed; with my other hand I reached the button to call the nurse, and only then I realized I was trembling. But also how useless I'd become and that definitely hurt me the most. Being unable to help her.

What if she was in a serious condition? And worse, what if it was because of me? I would never forgive myself for causing her pain. More pain.

The nurse came into the room running as fast as possible. But when she saw us she stood frozen in front of us.

"What – how...?"

"Nancy, please help her." I begged her and I bet she saw preoccupation in my eyes because she moved quickly again towards us.

"Dr. Frederickson! We need help in here," she shouted towards the semi open door.

My doctor came in and, also, took a moment to understand what was going on, mainly why Eleanor was in my bed, for sure.

"We were talking and all of a sudden she collapsed," I tried to explain them.

"C'mon Nancy, let's move El to her bed. She may need to be connected again," the doctor said pointing with his head to the machines next to Eleanor's bed. "Maybe it was too early to remove them from her."

"No! Please, don't!" I shouted trying to keep Eleanor with me.

"Louis, let her go!" Dr. Frederickson told me, pushing my hand away from her body. He was getting noticeably angry.

"She was finally getting better and she had left all those fucking machines away! You can't connect her again!"

"Louis, calm down, boy," Nancy told me as the doctor moved El to her bed. "This is the best for her, trust me."

"She doesn't want all those needles and cables around her, Nancy!"

I must have been shouting really loud because two other doctors entered the room looking worried. They went immediately over Eleanor to help Dr. Frederickson check on her status, but not before looking at me as if I were crazy.

Nancy came to my side and grabbed me by the shoulder. Obviously she was surprised at my reaction, but I'm sure she knew the reason of it.

"She'll be fine, son. Don't worry. Let the doctors take care of her. She needs them."

And then I remembered Eleanor's last words before fainting.

"She was telling me she was alone..." I told the nurse looking at her to see if I could get any new information.

"And she is, Lou. She has no family or friends." She said looking down at the chairs in the room that are usually occupied by my visitors. Never for hers.

"She doesn't look good. Her pulse is really weak. Let's make her some tests." I heard one of the new doctors said. And panic invaded me again.

"What? What do you mean she doesn't look good?!" I asked them. But no shouts this time, just a whisper, as if I were getting weak too. I could feel Nancy's hand in my shoulder grabbing me stronger.

In a matter of seconds the doctors took Eleanor out of the bed and out of the room. Her body looked super fragile and her face looked as if she were... dead.

In my mind, I was already standing next to my bed, ready to follow El. But in reality, all I could do was moving my arms.

"Louis, I'm going to say this just once, and I really hope you understand it."

I stared at Nancy, frightened about what she could say.

"Eleanor is in a serious condition, not only physically but also emotionally. Ok? She went through a really tough time a few years ago, and, unlike you, she received nor help or support from her family or friends."

"She got away from her family?"

"No, Louis. She was displaced by her family. She was left here..." and her voice broke.

"Left here?" I asked her, but already guessing the answer.

"Eleanor's family brought her once, fainted. And abandoned her the next day here at the hospital."

So that was it. I finally knew why Eleanor had been at the hospital so many times before. Not only had her body betrayed her health, but her own family! I was sure they had caused her more pain than whatever was wrong with her body.

And now, because of my fucking stupid question, she had remembered all those memories and was, once more, in pain.

I mentally added my own name to the list of people who had hurt her. 

**********************************

Hi, loves! 

After so much time, I'm back and with me, this lovely story. I hope you really enjoy it ♥

I'd like to know what you think may happen in the next chapter! Please comment and show some love for Elounor ♥

Love you all, a lot! 

Agus