10 | Garden

CHAPTER 10

"Garden"

"Okay. The visit time is about to finish, so I have to ask you to leave Mrs. Tomlinson. I'm really sorry." The nurse announced exiting the room.

"I understand. Well, son. I guess I'll be coming back tomorrow, okay?"

"Don't worry mom. I won't go anywhere." My mother's face and mine changed abruptly. Her gaze was totally different now. This time she was looking at me with a pitiful look, which made me feel awful. As regards me, I thought I would laugh at my own joke, but it seemed that I was not in that stage yet.

"Take care, Lou." And with a kiss and a hug, she left. But not before stopping at the door to wave Eleanor, who simply ignored her.

Once we were alone I could not stand it any longer and decided to face her.

"It won't kill you to say hello or goodbye, you know?" I told her.

"Why don't you focus on your happy family and leave me alone instead?"

"Cuz I can accept all your damn mood, but my family doesn't have to deal with your rudeness. It's simply not fair."

"Oh really? I might be dying and I have to be polite and kind with whoever crosses in my way? Do you have any idea how stupid and immature you are?"

I froze as soon as she finished that sentence. She was... dying? I wanted to regret so badly but, of course, she didn't let me. She stood up and head towards the door. Where was she going now?!

"Eleanor-"

"Don't! Don't you dare to deny it! You know I'm right. You cry all day because of your legs while people around you suffer a million times more." She was agitating every time more with every word she shouted at me. "But don't worry. I will die soon, you'll get the room for yourself and you'll cry as much as you want!"

She slammed the door and the silence in the room was a hundred times worse than her shouts. I've never felt so miserable in my entire life.

Guilty invaded me and the need to apologize was everything in my mind then. Now that my two arms were well I managed to get the button at the top of my bed to call the nurse. In less than a minute she appeared at my door.

"What? What is it?" she asked really worried. Her face made me realized that that button was for emergencies only. My bad.

"Oh, it's nothing. Actually-"

"Yes?"

"Eleanor left." I explained in a very dramatic voice as if the world was catching fire. Maybe mine was.

The old lady looked at me and then she smiled. I guess she saw my intentions. "So you pressed the button because she went to walk around the garden?"

"Garden? We have a garden here?" Obviously my head was a mess if I was focusing on the garden. "Wait. Eleanor is walking around? Can we do that?"

"Of course. Where do you think she goes every morning?"

"I thought she was checked by a doctor or something..."

"Oh dear. Don't worry about her. She's fine. She just needs to calm down."

I stuck in my thoughts thinking how it would be for her. Definitely she was in pain. I'd forgotten about the nurse until she brought me back. "You know, you could go outside too."

"Ha ha. How?" I imagined myself crawling through the hospital.

"I can take you there." And she pointed at the wheelchair in a corner. My wheelchair. "Shall we go?"

I hesitated. And hesitated. And hesitated even more. The world was not ready to see me in a wheelchair. Or maybe it was me was wasn't ready to be pushed around. Maybe I was not ready to face the world. But there was only one reason that'd make me change my mind. And that reason was walking around in the garden. Dying.

*********************

What does this story produce on you guys? Comment! 

Agus xx