34 | Second Chance

SECOND CHANCE

The ride back to the hospital was one of the most awkward moments in my whole life.

Eleanor woke up a few minutes after she fainted and her brother not only suspended the funeral but also insisted on taking Eleanor to the hospital himself. He felt guilty as hell and of course he felt even worse when, once alone, I told that I was Eleanor's boyfriend, not Harry. He apologized like a hundred times for, well, everything. And this was only a part of why the ride was awkward.

I sat on the passenger seat and Harry drove avoiding my gaze as much as he could, occasionally looking at the rear view mirror to check on Eleanor who was feeling better but was still pale. However, she spent most of the ride assuring her brother she was fine and there was nothing to worry about.

As soon as we arrived to the hospital, Nancy and Dr. Frederickson ran towards us and took Eleanor to check on her despite her insistence on that she was fine.

"I'll meet you in a minute, love!" I yelled at her as Harry helped me sit on my wheelchair, still looking at everyone but me.

"Louis?" Alex, Eleanor's brother, called me, "Is it okay if I stay? I'd like to make sure she's okay."

"Of course, Alex." I smiled at him.

Alex was definitely not like the rest of Eleanor's family. And it obviously was because he hadn't been in his father's life. He always knew his father had another family so he never insisted on looking for him; yet he was a better person and took care of the arrangements for the man's funeral.

But what made me like him the most was how concerned he seemed to be about Eleanor. He had been an only child until a few days before and was clearly happy to know he had a sister now. And the news that she lived in a hospital were enough reason for him to worry.

"You can wait for her in our room." I offered him. "I'll show you the way." I said turning my chair towards the entrance.

"Great, thank you."

"No problem." I only hoped Eleanor wouldn't bother.

"Lou?" a different voice called me.

"What, Harry?" I swear I tried my best not to sound angry but I couldn't.

"Uh, can we talk for a minute?"

I stared at him and then at Alex who immediately sensed the tension.

"It's okay. I'll go inside to make a few phone calls while you talk. Excuse me," Alex said going in before I could reply.

There was a long silence before Harry found the words to speak, and all I could think about meanwhile was the awkward moment back in the cemetery. While Harry had been busy helping Eleanor, everybody talked to him believing he was her boyfriend. Of course Alex didn't know and I couldn't blame him for his confusion, but what had really surprised me was that Harry didn't bother to correct them.

"Are you mad at me?" he asked me with a frown and his hands in his pockets.

I breathed heavily as I looked somewhere else. Honestly, yes. I was furious. But why? He had done nothing wrong. On the contrary, he had only helped me and Eleanor but still I was mad at his.

Or was it jealous?

"I- I don't know." I sighed looking up at him. "I'm certainly not happy."

"That's obvious and I understand why, but I'm your best friend and I know you quite well. I can tell you're angry, I just want to know why at me." His voice got more serious as he spoke.