4 | Ray of Light

CHAPTER IV

"Ray of Light"

"No. That's impossible." My voice broke the quiet of the early morning.

"Louis, please don't get-"

"Get what? Upset? Angry? Furious?!" I continued shouting. "You are telling me I will be stuck in here for at least three months incapable to move and you want me to take it easy?" With my good arm I removed the tears from my eyes.

"Mr. Tomlinson," the old lady next to Dr. Frederickson told me, "We know this is not easy to handle, but give it time to accept it."

"Of course I will. I cannot go anywhere." I told her almost barking.

"Louis, be nice. Nancy is trying to help you and so am I," the doctor told me checking my arm for a last time.

I realized I had been rude. But it was not completely my fault. I was being told I'd been in that horrible building alone for three months... that was not something nice to tell someone.

"I'm sorry Nancy," I said looking for her. But she was not by my side any more. She was next to the other patient checking her vital signs. I could not help staring at them.

"Is it clear, Lou?" Dr. Frederickson asked me.

"Sorry, what?" Obviously I'd missed everything he'd told me. He raised his gaze and saw the girl being examined.

"Hmm. I guess you found a distraction," a smirk grew on his face. I did not smile back. I was not in the mood for jokes.

The doctor and the nurse left the room leaving me alone with the sleeping girl. She had not waken up during the night, so she was still an enigma for me. The only thing I knew was that it was not her first in the hospital. Nancy and other nurses already knew her and, apparently, they were really sad to see her there again. I could not stop thinking what could be so bad to bring her here several times.

At 9am my parents arrived to see me. They looked much better than the previous days, but they were as worried as before.

The news of my long stay in the hospital did not affect them as me. They were even relieved to know I was going to stay there under control of experts. I only considered it a way to enlarge my suffering. Like a really long agony.

By midday, I was left alone with my parent's promise of coming back later with a surprise for me. Like if anything could make me feel better.

After lunch, I was watching TV but I turned it off when the review of the last football match began. It was not my favourite program anymore. Now it was more like a horror movie.

My mind was going over my last training with my team. Amazing memories made me feel awfully sad. What a contradiction! My gaze was fixed in the white ceiling until a tear fell down my cheek. I decided it was too much suffering, too much drama. Slowly I turned my head to the side. The curtains were closed so a small ray of light entered the room. I followed it with my eyes and – to my surprise – it ended in the head of the other bed. More specifically, it illuminated the chocolate colour hair of the sleeping girl.

But she was not asleep anymore. She was looking at me with no expression in her face.

Without hesitating I looked at her in the eyes and smiled.

"Hi," I whispered in order not to disturb her.

She simply looked away. And the ray of light disappeared.

***************************************

Today is my birthday so... it'd be a great present to receive a rain of comments! And go follow me if you haven't ;) 

I'm gonna ask for at least 15 comments by different people for the next update.

Love xx

A-