37| First Time

FIRST TIME

Happiness can be such a weird feeling sometimes. And that day was the perfect example because I was extremely happy for my girlfriend but devastated at the same time.

Eleanor was finally being released from the hospital that evening and that meant I was left alone.

We had spent the day together, holding hands and hugging all the time as if we were going to be separated forever. She had packed her stuff early in the morning to spend the rest of the day sitting with me in my bed.

"Are you sure you're not forgetting anything?" I asked her rubbing her back as she rested her side on my chest, the two of us lying in my bed.

"I'm sure. I checked twice already." She sighed hugging my side stronger. Her voice didn't sound so happy but I knew what the reason behind it was.

"El," I called her, making her lift her head to look at me, "Listen, today is a big day and I don't want to you to be sad because of me, babe."

"Louis, I'm excited about leaving this place, I really am, but you can't expect me to be all joyful when I'll be leaving you too."

"But it'll only be for a week or two until I'm released as well."

"Even if it was for an hour, Lou. I mean, I'm going to stay with your family yet you'll be still here." Her voice became a whisper and I knew she was trying not to cry.

"Eleanor, I'll be joining you in a few days, love. We can do this." I assured her smiling at her but I was hurting exactly like her. "Just promise me you'll be smiling the minute you step outside the hospital."

"But-"

"Please, babe." I interrupted her, not giving her the chance to hesitate.

She sighed again and showed me a forced smile. "I promise."

"Perfect," I told her, leaning a little to kiss her. "I love you so much, El."

"I love too, babe." Her smile widened and I was relieved now.

My girl was not only leaving this place but also going to live with my family. Her brother couldn't invite her to live with him because he lived with his own family and Eleanor considered it was weird enough. However, Alex was picking her up that evening and had offered to help her find a place for her own. Meanwhile, El was staying in the guest room in my own house.

Obviously, my mom and dad had everything ready for her arrival and my sisters were absolutely excited about having El with them for a while.

"Oh, I almost forgot!" El told me suddenly getting up from the bed, "I told Nancy I would have a coffee with her in the garden."

"She'll miss you so much."

"Me too. Actually, I'm already missing her and all the doctors." Her eyes got watery whenever she spoke about leaving but I always tried to cheer her up.

"Yeah, right." I rolled my eyes playfully. "Go now, I'll call you if your brother arrives."

"Ok," she kissed my cheek and ran towards the door. "I'll be back soon!" she yelled closing the door behind her.

-

Not even half an hour later a knock on my door made me turned away from the TV.

"Hi, Lou." Alex greeted me and it was obvious he was really happy.

"Alex, how are you man?"

"Doing well. You?"