29 | Days Numbered

Days Numbered

"BABE, LOOK!"

Eleanor was just entering the room and she froze as soon as she saw me standing on my own. Tears began falling down her cheeks immediately as her lower lip trembled. It was almost inaudible, but I knew she was whispering my name.

"I did it, El." My voice broke and I had to press my lips not to sob.

I wanted to hug her so badly but my hands were grabbing the bar to hold me. I knew it was a matter of seconds until I needed to sit down back, but the sight of my girlfriend gave me all the strength I needed.

She walked to my side really slowly, like if she was afraid of making any sudden move, and when she reached my side, she stopped, unsure what to do.

"I – I want to hug you." She admitted wiping a tear from her eye.

"You can, El. Just, be careful," Dr. Smith told her from his desk, "remember his legs are still week, and I'm sure he's more focused on you than on his own body right now." He commented making Nancy and Dr. Frederickson laugh.

And even though Eleanor giggled too, she carefully crossed her arms around my neck and pressed a kiss to my cheek. "You made it, Lou. I'm so proud of you."

"I made it for you," I winked at her, smiling as the happiest man on earth.

Dr. Smith explained that I had to go back to my chair because I should not stand much longer as it could even hurt me, so I obeyed and let him help me.

El and Nancy were holding hands behind me as we all listened to the two doctors' instructions. Basically, I was forbidden to try standing again while I was alone in my room. I guess they knew me well by then...

It surprised me when Eleanor asked them a few questions, one of them even about how she could help me, to which answer I smiled. "Just comfort him, El. But still keep an eye on him." Mark teased me making us all laugh now.

"Ok, Lou. If everything's clear, we can go back," Nancy said, ready to push my chair.

"Nancy," Eleanor timidly interrupted her, "would you mind...?"

"Oh, honey! Of course! All yours," Nancy stepped aside, leaving my girlfriend to push my chair so we could go back to our room alone. Damn, I loved this woman.

-

We were silent all the way to our room but I managed to hold Eleanor's hand. She was still shaking, but I made sure to smile to all the doctors and nurses so they would not believe something bad had happened.

When we got to our room I pushed my chair towards my bed but she stayed with her back pressed to the closed door. The silence invaded the room and then reality hit me. In that exact moment I completely realized what I had just done. I quickly turned my head to her, and she was covering half her face so I would not see her crying. But I guess it was too late, because now the two of us were a crying mess.

"Lou, do – do you need a moment alone?" she asked me between sobs.

I denied with my head and raised my hand to ask her to come closer. She walked towards me and leaned on the edge of my bed, holding my hand once again. Her watery eyes looked more beautiful than ever, and knowing the reason of those happy tears was me made my heart jumped crazily inside my chest.