36 | A Happy One

A HAPPY ONE

"That's it, son. Keep going!" my father cheered for me with his arms wide open in my direction.

"I feel like I'm one year old again," I laughed, looking at him crouched on the floor a few steps ahead of me.

Ten endless days had gone by since I began to use my crutches and I had adapted to them incredibly fast. So here I was now, in a new session with Dr. Smith, or Mark to me, to see how much I had progressed. The only difference now was that my father had joined us since he was visiting me that day in the hospital.

"Your mum would say you'll always be our baby." He mocked me smiling at me.

"Ok, enough chatting. C'mon Louis. If you can make it to your father on your own then that'll be it." Mark instructed me.

My hands began to sweat when I heard his words and I tightened my grip. I was standing between the physiotherapy parallel bars, taking little steps in my father's direction for the first time without my crutches. "Are you serious?"

"Absolutely. If you can do this then..." a smirk formed on his face and he lowered his head. "I won't tell you. C'mon! I want to see you walking, Tomlinson."

"You can do it, son." My dad clapped twice eagerly.

"I can do this," I murmured to myself as I really slowly let the bars go and took a step. "I can do this."

The second I lifted my foot from the floor I felt my knees shaking. I was standing on my own, no wheelchair, no crutches and nobody holding my arm. I felt so lonely that I began to breathe heavily.

"Don't freak out, Tomlinson. You've got this." Dr. Smith encouraged me walking to my side but still keeping a distance.

"Easy to say, man." I pressed my lips and held the bar again. "It scares me and I don't know why, I mean I'm just walking, right?"

"You're not afraid of walking, you're afraid of falling." Mark corrected me and I frowned.

"And you're not helping, Mark."

"LOUIS!" My father scolded me, making me feel like a child again. "Listen, son. It's logic you're scared but I've seen you done things a million times more difficult."

"Really? Like what?" I asked him getting in position to try walking again.

"Like scoring a hundred goals, graduating and even getting a girlfriend," he raised an eyebrow playfully.

No need to mention how much I blushed when he mentioned the word girlfriend. And it was no help that Mark whistled loudly to annoy me even more.

"We're getting this in love man to walk again." He said still teasing me.

"Can I get a new doctor?" I rolled my eyes but laughed anyways.

"Ok, let's be serious. Louis, listen. I don't want to bother you but I've proved several times that Eleanor has become your biggest motivation to heal. So, focus on her, on how much you'd like to walk with her around town or in the park, and let those fucking bars and walk!" Mark's tone changed so suddenly that my dad and I turned to him. He was suddenly intimidating but he was right.

So I listened. I pictured me and Eleanor but not walking in the park or those cliché things from films, no. I pictured us both leaving this damn hospital, walking hand in hand.

And then I smiled.

And then I let the bars go.

And then I took a firm step.