40 | Hospital Beds - final chapter

HOSPITAL BEDS

"Is this seat empty?" I asked Eleanor as I walked towards her. She had been in the backyard alone for a while, looking at my relatives and friends enjoying my surprising arrival in the living room and taking pictures from outside.

"Actually, it was reserved for you, Mr. Tomlinson," she told me patting the empty spot in the bench next to her.

Her smile quickly made me change my mind. "Come with me," I told her extending my hand for her. She frowned but still took my hand and got up to follow me.

Instead of sitting down with her, I led her in silence towards the very back of the garden so we could enjoy some privacy. I sat down on the grass, leaning back on a tree that hid us from the rest of the people inside the house. "Sit with me, babe." I asked her politely gesturing her to occupy the spot next to me.

"My pleasure." She sat down between my legs, leaning her back on my chest and resting her head on my shoulder. "Louis I-"

"No, Eleanor, wait. Let me talk first, please." I interrupted her, holding her hand. "I really need to say this..." I breathed deeply and looked at her shining hazel eyes. "You are the main reason why I'm here today. You were always my reason to heal and my biggest motivation to recover my life outside the hospital to – well, to live it with you. So besides telling you how much I love you, I need to thank you." I slowly leaned and kissed her lips. "Thank you for healing me."

She froze when I broke our kiss and the only sound around us was the distant music and chatting from the living room. Eleanor was silent and stiff, with her eyes fixed on mine, just like I had been before entering my house.

"Babe? Are you okay?" I asked her a bit worried already.

She shook her head and giggled embarrassed. "Yes, yes. I am, it's just – with your surprise you made me realize that we're both outside the hospital and we can finally, well-"

"Finally?"

"Start a life together, honey." She explained, caressing my chest and smiling widely at the realization.

"Exactly, El. We have a future together ahead now. Imagine all the things we'll be able to do!"

"I know! I want to do so many big things like looking for a job or going back to college," she paused staring at the horizon with the biggest grin on her face. Eleanor had had to drop university because of her health problems and the little support of her family but I was sure she could do that and more now she was healed and surrounded by a lot of people who loved her.

"Oh, and you can go back to play football!" she hit my knee tenderly as if she had had the biggest revelation ever. "Are you excited, Lou?"

"Of course I am but I'm not sure I'm ready to go back to play yet, love. But studying and working sound great, let me tell you." I winked at her and she smiled at me so happyly that I had found her plan attractive.

"And imagine the little things too... like walking around the neighbourhood or at the beach!"

"Or me picking you up in my car to go on a date. I mean, we never had a real date." I frowned at the thought.

"I guess I didn't need dates when I was stuck with you in the same room for months all day." She joked and we burst out laughing.

"Seems logic," I sighed and ran my hand through her hair, making her turn to me because I needed her to really connect with me before I went on talking. Eleanor, I promise you I'll make you happy every single day of our lives." I kissed her cheek as I listened to her giggling in my arms, the most beautiful sound to me. "I'll make you forget about the hell we went through."

"No, no Louis." She denied with her head as if I was crazy. "I don't want to forget about those days."

"What? Why not?" Now I was the confused one.

"Babe, we're happy now but we wouldn't be here, together, if we hadn't coincide in that hospital room. So, no matter how devastating that time was for us, I'm glad it happened because I got to meet the love of my life there." A few tears rolled down her cheeks and I swear I could feel my heart beating faster. Love really makes wonders.

"You're right... as usual." I assured her and we both laughed. "Let's focus on our happy and healthy future together, but never forget about our beginning... and those hospital beds."

THE END

**********************************
Last chapter and I can't explain how happy and sad I am at the same time. Happy because this story is undoubtedly one of my favorites and writing it was beautiful. And sad because I'm going to miss writing it and imagining scenarios for Eleanor and Louis.
There is still an epilogue left but I still haven't decided whether to make a second part or not, although it is a tempting idea. Would you like a sequel? Please comment your opinion!

Thank you for all your support from the beginning :)

Agustina