Chapter 40: Release

The corridors were empty as it was expected, not a single sound around the base could be heard, the deserted offices only left prepared for tomorrow's work transmitted a heavy aura of loneliness around the complex. The base's entrances sealed off while being slightly illuminated by a bunch of lamposts outside that were scattered across the main paths of the base such as the one to the dorms area made the abandoned look even more intense.

R1s eyes gazed around to confirm to herself the base was still in a deep slumber, the doll currently walking through the empty base with caution, a slight hint of paranoia taking over her, maybe that lingering fear of coming across someone still beating down her heart as she walked towards the dorms. But it was 3 am, not to say almost 4 am already, no one is gonna be awake at these hours, even R3 should be currently asleep.

R1s: ...

As R1s walked towards the dorms area she stopped in place for a second, taking a minute to look to her right as she turned her entire body around and stared at the little garden that was seen from here near the main entrance of the base, the gate as she expected closed securely in place.

The doll rubbed her hands as she stopped looking in that direction and started walking again, now her hands slowly making their way towards her wrists and rubbing them gently as well, her eyes were now fixated on herself, her looks made a mess and her arms bruised beyond simple bandaging.

Her mind's thoughts bounced around inside her dome, making her dreams and thoughts a messy folder of memories, but lately, she just could only think of a single thing that influenced her to avoid everyone even further, to an outsider it would look like she was a ghost, a mere escapee from a clinical center.

Her sights were pretty toned down compared to her usual self, even her entire aura lost that menacing and optimistic touch to it, not to say how languid she acted, you just had to look at how her jacket, even if badly put over her shoulders, didn't even waver with her walking, or how carelessly and slowly she reached out for the door to the dorms building.

R1s entered with dead eyes into the building and without looking around simply started to turn towards the staircase direction to get to her dorm already before someone finds her, however as she wanted to let her arm go limp her wrist was quickly grabbed by someone from behind startling her entirely as she stopped in place with wide eyes.

Nikolay: Gotcha

R1s: ...

R1s red eyes simply stared at the commander incredulous as the last person she ever expected to exchange stares with was Nikolay, at such hours he would be dreaming in his bed already, then what happened for him to be awake now? More importantly, how did he even know she would go to the dorms today.

R1s: ... What do you want...

Nikolay: You really are going to ask that?

R1s: ... I guess...

She weakly replied as her gaze slid downwards and her heterocorom eyes now stared at the floor avoiding a direct look with Nikolay again.

Nikolay: *Sigh*  We need to talk R1s

R1s: ... I'm simply just gonna get back to my dorm now then...

She said trying to walk away as she turned around yet again freeing herself from his grasp, however, Nikolay made something resonate, was that the sound of keys clanging?

Nikolay: You ain't going nowhere R1s

He said simply resting his hands on his waist, R1s gave him a side look as she stopped walking, directly staring at where the sound came from, her look quickly taken by the sight of him having the master key on one of his hands, making her realize he closed her dorm.